2002 Mercury Sable auto headlights

redwork

I have an on and off again problem with the headlights going off while driving while in the auto mode.
the condition now is all the lights come on except the headlights while in the auto mode. Headlights work
when I turn the swithch to manual headlights.

NickD

wrench
What's so difficult about switching your head lamps on and off? Another PITA completely worthless accessory that complicates a basic definitely required function of needing head lamps on when driving down a dark road. As opposed to a simple reliable switch connected directly to 12 V, a photocell, cheap ass made in China electronics, worthless potentiometer for a timer, and the ignition switch with more cheapass contacts in there are added to turn these damned things on and off.

Yeah, I have two vehicles with this piece of crap installed, have to work, but always use manual. For one thing, don't have to stand there like an idiot for 30 seconds to make sure the damn things turn off so I don't wake up to a dead battery. We use to make silcon photo cells here, sealed in a TO-18 can, gold plated, but now have this Asian crap, just an epoxy blob. For proper night time operation, have to show an extremely high impedance, any moisture can kill that, and the damn thing is mounted on top of the dash where a can of coke and spill into that circuit.

Most and more of the super cheap electronic crap is added to our vehicles for convenience, but certainly not a convenience when you have to rip half the dash apart to find the problems. Would love to write a new car ad, you want problems, we have problems!

kev2

wrench
Nick lets start a thread in lounge about usless crap on vehicles - auto lamps is a start

For redwork - Lets deal with the drivability issue, your other post P0191? - then we can get to the wiring diargams.
PS: any chance there is a remote starter on this vehiicle

NickD

wrench
Feel like I am being sarcastic again, best you will get is a block diagram with a notice, "solid state, do not test" Its basically a timer circuit employing a comparator activated by an "AND" ignition and high impedance photo cell input that activates a point contact relay where just a spec of debris can inhibit head lamp operation.

Good news they all have a manual override, but the only reason for that is to reduce liability insurance cost.