2002 Oldsmobile alero

jkoch6

i recently bought a 2002 oldsmobile alero. a couple days ago the "Anti-Lock" light, "Service vehicle soon" light, and the "Trac-off" light all came on. so i took it to get the code read. the code they gave me is P0128. the description is "coolant temp below thermostat regulating temp". waht does this mean and what do i do now?
Thanks.

dmac0923

unfortunately it sounds like you have multiple things going on at once there.

the code you got P0128 for the coolant temp below regulating temp. is more then like a faulty thermostat or sending unit.

the antilock and trac off lights could be related and wouldnt give a code to a basic code reader. based on the fact they came on together it leads me to believe you have a bad wheel speed sensor in one for the front two wheels (since the car is front wheel drive and those are the wheels with the traction control system)

yes ....
p0128 = is coolant does not reach proper temp or takes to long to get there
check thermostat (195*deg only) less likely coolant tem sensor.

You will need a scanner capable of reading ABS codes- if the light was or is on there is a code stored.

Likely the ABS and TRAC off are related..

that seams to be an agreement..

also is vehicle STOCK? no add on's or aftermarket goodies?

jkoch6

Thanks! What kind of scanner do I need to read ABS? Will that tell me if it is a wheel speed sensor? It seems weird that all the lights came on at the same time. Thanks

you will need an ABS capable scanner..... expensive for DIYeer only wishing to repair this vehicle...

very likely the ABS and Trac Control are the same problem.
the P0128 not related to above

How long have you had vehicle....? A couple of days and then these problems..?
I wonder...something is not koesher.
you have a waranty or had an independent technician check before you purchased vehicle? that would be my starting suggestion

A Snap on scantool,OTC, or many others will pull the codes and basic data. I just purchased a TEch2 and if you can find a shop that has one (dealer will for sure), that tool definitely has advantages for troubleshooting these problems. One can activate individual wheels and such, as well as easily graph all 4 wheel speed sensors when the code sets, then review on a laptop.
Most likely, a bad frt wheel brg/sensor assy. Some take water in and short out internally. The sensor wiring harness sometimes breaks or the connectors corrode. Make sure the fuses in the underhood fuse box aren't corroded on the blades,causes weird problems and I've seen that too.

Gus

wrench
I agree that is two seperate problems...

Thermostat usual fix.....rarely the coolant sensor....

If the ABS has a current code, the traction system is automatically disabled......as has been stated, could be a hub/bearing-sensor, OR the wire harnes to it, OR if water corrosion the harness and sensor connector, both....need to find the code to determine which wheel to check out...