2003 Chrysler Town and country 3.8 02 sensor upstream

I am in process of removing the 02 sensor before the catylitic on this 3.8 engine. Anyyone familiar with it knows it is a bear to get to. I can only reach it from the top with a long extension and a 02 socket. I tried to loosen it with my 02 socket and an extension and a breaker bar and it did nothing but twist the 3/8 to 1/2 socket adapter after a lot of torque.. I did not expect anything less. I have a 3/8 inch 02 socket. I am going up and buy a 1/2 drive 02 socket and try it again. I am also going to buy another can of PB blaster of which I was out. My question is can someone give me any tips on making it easier and even possible to get this 02 sensor out. You can not get a torch in there to heat it up. Should I run the engine and heat it up or what? Thanks for any advice on this subject. I forgot the exact code number but it concerned the heating element of the 02 sensor.

Let the PB blaster soak for awhile...it is really good stuff...Alldata says go from the top...is that possible?...might try...here is what it says...REMOVAL - UPSTREAM 1/1

Remove battery, refer to the Battery section for more information.
Remove the battery tray, refer to the Battery section for more information.
Disconnect the speed control vacuum harness from servo.
Disconnect the electrical connector from servo.
Remove the speed control servo and bracket and reposition.
....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Try an impact-wrench, but that long extender will limit its effectiveness; like the "Torque Sticks" mentioned in the loose lug-nut thread...

Yeah Jim, it is possible. In fact it is the only way I see that you can do it. It is in the exhaust manifold sticking straight up toward the front of the engine. I can get it from the driver side without taking the battery out. I got my socket and extension on it with the breaker bar, but had to reduce the 1/2 extension to 3/8 inch because of the dirve on the 02 socket. No way to get a wrench in there and pull on it. Maybe taking the battery out might give me some side room. Went to 5 different place and they do not sell a 7/8" 02 socket that is a 1/2 drive. I sure someone sells it. I will try another reducer and see if I have a better one.

Billr: Not enough room to use an impact wrench,just a extension about 10" long and a flexable breaker bar.

Going out to soak that sucker now. Thanks for the information.

Went out and soaked it and looked at if it would benefit me to take the battery, tray and all the other stuff off. With all that stuff off, I would still have to access it from where I am right now. There is no room to get a side pull on it even with all of that stuff off. No way from bottom or top to get a swing at it. Will warm up the engine in a bit as soon as that pb soaks in to see if that will help. PB is flammable and don't want to start a fire under there.

That's it Jim. As snug as a bug in a rug!! I have a good hold on it now. I finally realized that I had a 1" hex on the end of that 02 socket also. Have a 1" impact sock and a six inch x 1/2" extension and a 18" breaker bar ready when I try it after it soaks. Proberly let it soak overnight. One of my concerns right now is if that 02 socket will hold up under the torque. If that happens, I will have to find a true impact deepwell and cut the wire off the top so the socket will go over it.

I have several types of 02 sockets but this one is the best for most situations...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/images/B00390BS7C/ref=dp_image_0?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive

I like to put a cold socket on a hot exhaust, if I can do it without burning myself.

Danica: I think I have one of them around here someplace. I think with my socket I get more torque on it because of where it is located. I have no access to sideways pull at all where it is located. But I will use the one you like putting it back in(if I ever get it out), because the original and the one I am getting has a spring on it that holds the wire up away from the exhaust, and I don't want to distort it. I don't care about the one I am taking off and have the spring bent over to get the socket on it.

Well after a night of soaking with PB blaster, a two foot breaker bar, and running the engine till it warmed up to temperature, at least a 200# torque pull on the breaker bar, the 02 sensor finally came loose with a loud pop. So we know we can get the upstream 02 sensor loose on a 2003 chrysler van, without taking the battery out etc, as the books describes. Thought all would like to know. Thanks for the advices. Kelly