2003 Ford F250 6.0 Litre Diesel

Truck was parked at a function for appoximately 4 hours in -20 C temperatures and would not start. The lights are nice and bright and the solenoid does not even click like a dead battery. The engine would not turn over at all. I'm thinking it may be the solenoid. Any ideas?
Thanks,
StanH

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do the head-lights stay bright as you try to crank?

billr

wrench
Staff member
That does seem to eliminate things like the battery cables. Is that solenoid separate from the starter-motor, maybe mounted up somewhere convenient where you can get to it? It could be the solenoid, but also could be the switching/wiring/modules that activate it. Is there any remote-start or anti-theft system on this truck; especially non-OEM?

There is no remote start or ani-theft system, truck is completly stock.
There is a small solenoid on the inside fender well but I don't know if it's for the starter.
I think there is a solenoid right on the starter.
StanH

Try and see if it will start in neutral. Jiggle the selector around a little while you do this. The starter relay is in the relay/fuse junctions box . I would pull the relay and put it back in to see if the connections might have been a problem in the cold weather. Your lid to the box should show you whick one it is. I think there is a TSB relating to a bad wire coming from the starter relay to the starter solonoid on the starter. Also check all the fuses going to the starter relay and starter.

To add - might want to check relay when someone tries to start it - you should hear and feel a click - could swap with another in box -

larche

They do have problems with the relay, and the main bat cable going to the starter corroding and breaking loose. Like previously mentioned, swap relays to see if that is the problem, and check the main battery cable (positive) going to the starter if the relay swap doesnt work.