2003 KIA SORENTO---transmission codes---HELP!

Our check engine light came on today and we put in a code reader chip at our friends house and this code showed up---P1733 unknown Powertrain DTC Manufacture Controlled; Transmission. So we took the car to Advance Auto and used their code reader and these codes then showed up---P0700 Trans Control System Malfunction MOD $12 1/2
& --P1121 Manufacturers Control Fuel Error or (Air--can't remember which one)Metering MOD $18 2/2

What does this all mean????? We have a KIA 2003 Sorento Service Manual and we can't find the P0700 code. The code P1121 Says that it could be the TPS sensor malfunction or damaged wiring or connectors between engine control module and transaxle control module. The P1733 code shows Rear Speed Speed Sensor -High Input.

Is any of this easy to fix and do we need to fix all of the codes or if we fix one code will the others clear up as well? Or could this have happen due to dirt or some other reason. We recently replaced the radiator and a little bit of transmission fluid leaked out but we thought the level was fine when checked. We have not lost any power when driving, only an occasional small hesitation when at a steady speed.

Can anyone help???

Code P0700 is a OBD11 code telling you you have a transmission code.
Always check codes with a transmission/engine capable scanner.

Then when you get codes read out the transmiision data pertaing to the code.
Clear codes and see if the return.
And remember code does not say replace sensor but to check thing out.

If code comes back you need to go threw the repair flow chart for that code.

Are you going to DIY it or take it to a repair shop?

We would like to do the repair ourself to avoid a costly expense--plus we only have one vehicle. My husband thinks it's possible that we had a power surge in the wiring because we know that there is a wiring problem with the Kia Sorentos. We go through head lights, tail lights, and now even the lights above the license plate like crazy. Plus our clock only works when it feels like it--hasn't worked regularly since 2005.

Could a bad sensor cause the occasional hesitation? We replaced the spark plugs last fall but not the wiring harness(?) or cable(?)--can't remember the part name right now.

Since the radiator connects to the transmission, could we have done something to the tranny when we replaced it?

The 2 OBD11 you got refer to a tps sensor or wiring problem and a problem with the 3-4 shift transmission shifting.
Have the codes been cleared and have any come back after code cleared.?
But you need to get it on a engine/transmission capable scanner and check it out and check for codes with it.

I would work on the TPS sensor code first.
But remember a code does not say replace sensor but to check it out.

If you are going to try repairing it your self I would suggest a All Daty sub.
It has the step by step repair flow charts for engine/transmission capable scanner codes.
Top right of this page.
http://www.alldata.com/products/diy/index.html
Let us know how it goes.
Crunch

We cleared the code and so far it hasn't come back. My said said that yes it feels like it's happening between 3rd &4th when it happens. Hopefully it won't come back again--but he'll check the sensor this weekend! Thanks!

I

Israel Morales

Re: 2003 KIA SORENTO---transmission codes

Hi I have a code 070 on my kia sorento 2003, what I need to do to repair?

kev2

wrench
Israel - this topic is as old as time, start a new topic list as much info as you can - the code is not good have the vehicle scanned again.
codes are in a 5 character format 1 alpha P,B.U,OR C, AND 4 NUMERIALS IE P1234

As said you need to start a new thread and givr all and more info.
Like what it is doing or not doing and what is acting up,
Code P0070 is a abs code.
Code P0707 is a transmission inhibitor switch problem.