Make
Lincoln
Model
Town car
Year
Miles
Engine
Hi all,

The cooling fan runs constantly on a 2003 Lincoln Town Car 4.6.
(Only runs When key is in the "on" or "run" positions ...when key is in "off" position, fan is stopped).

Never used as a cab, car has 51,000 miles. Bone stock vehicle.

A/C , and defrost, is set to "OFF" (not on "AUTO" either)

Recently replaced original fan with a oem motorcraft fan.

Coolant level fine, no leaks, no head gasket issues.

Temp gauge stays just below the middle even on the hottest days.

What am I missing here???

Thank you

billr

wrench
Staff member
If this has a simple fan relay (probably not...) then swap the relay with a a similar one in the fuse panel.

All fans are cooling fans, is this the MVAC blower motor or an electric radiator fan.

Lincoln Town car is a RWD that has an engine driven fan, but some vehicles also have additional electric fans.

Must be the MVAC since you mentioned "A/C , and defrost, is set to "OFF"

And this happened after you replaced the blower motor? Sure its wired correctly?

Also uses an electronic motor controller like a Cadillac that could be shorted out. Teed me off with my old Caddy, blower motor stalled, draws a ton of current, did not blow the 30 amp protective fuse, but the control module was shorted out. Caddy wanted 250 bucks for a new one, see yours runs around 90.

But mine had a shorted power MOSFET transistor that was shorted, it was a 17 cent unit, I replaced it with a larger 27 cent unit, so the fuse would blow first.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
But mine had a shorted power MOSFET transistor that was shorted, it was a 17 cent unit, I replaced it with a larger 27 cent unit, so the fuse would blow first.
Not likely to happen with a lincoln, same shyte ford did with cylinder head etc right in the way. First thing to look for is a shorted circuit there. Here is the wiring very simple.

THAT IS IF WE ARE TALKING SAME LANGUAGE.

COOLING FAN on in first speed or just full on key in hand

Cannot have a more simpler diag for a fan circuit, not like a caddy for sure.

Sorry other nick. ;) No 17 cent mosfet replacable unless you want to warp the whole pcb out. Found on road dead ecm's are bullet proof and need lots of arm wrestle to get apart, let along attempt pcb repairs and offer a satisfying warranty for client under nation wide banner.