2003 pt CRUISER idols rough and error code P0103

S

Sean

Hi,

I have a 2003 Chrysler PT cruiser 2.4L

My car is idling hard and fast when stopped or parked. My OED check engine line kept coming on. We got a code of P0103 which is the 1st cylinder. Today I had the spark plugs and wires replaced. The engine light disappeared. I drove 15 miles home. Went inside came out an hour later to drive to a friends and presto the light came on again and same code. My mechanic recommends now replacing the electrical ignition module and if that doesn't work the fuel injectors since the plugs and wires were replaced today. I am not sure what to do. I found this TSB thing below. Does anyone know if this TSB or any other TSB could be related?

TSB -18-024-05 MAY 05

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Sean

I think you mean P0301..#1 cylinder missfire...did you have the code erased with a scan tool after you changed the plugs and wires?.....it will not erase itself...maybe a vacuum line pulled loose when you changed plugs and wires....Jim

Cheef

King of A-604 and Prince of 62-TE
Website
www.ultra604.com
AND with what did you replace the plugs with?

Bosch???? Haa...will never get rid of code! (C*R*A*P spark plugs)

Platinum tip of any type? Multi-electrode plugs???? Haa....again you will get recurrent P030X codes. (Spark duration does not meet program requirements in PCM)

If you put ANYTHING but dealer supplied Champions or NGK's you will not get rid of misfires.

Additionally, the misfire can be caused by a plethora of other things....bad injector, clogged injector, wiring issue, valve train issues.

Cheef

kev2

wrench
lets clear this up.....is it code p0103 OR p0301????
Your "mechanic" SHOULD have access to all the needed technical information.....if not something is LACKING

Anyway the TSB you asked about is a reflash..

Strongly suggest you get the needed information technical info/new specs and TSB's for this vehicle,

S

Sean

Sorry the code is p0301

The plugs were replaced with champions and my mechanic reset the computer. I actually drove for almost 20 miles and then it came back on.

Maybe it is a bad injector? or something? Could it be the iginiton module gone bad?

kev2

wrench
hopefully you used the new plug and followed the update for gapping, ....???
have you checked to see if vehicle has the most recient reflash??

And yes it could be any of the things mentioned, there are test procedures for isolating the cause of a missfire, Is the vehicle at repair shop??
test would start with confirming spark @1 cylinder, injector pulse #1 cyl, injector fueling (often swaop inj to see if code follows injctor)... fuel pressure and leakdown ......then mechanical....compression, vacuum etc.

PS are there any modifications add on's or aftermarket parts??

S

Seab

Re: 2003 pt CRUISER idols rough and error code P0301

Thanks for the information.

My check engine light also flashes occasionally instead of staying solid. Is that a major issue?

The car is going to the Chrysler dealership tomorrow

What is gapping and reflashing?

My mechanic who is very good is the one who changed the wires and plugs

S

Sean

Re: 2003 pt CRUISER idols rough and error code P0301

I forgot there are no after parts or modifications

kev2

wrench
The reflashing is basically an update to the vehicle's computer software....best left to a dealer

GApping is the adjustment to the spark plug electoid.

the plug referance needs VIN# to see if applicable,if so the data decal on the vehicle would be incorrect.

A flashing SES/CEL needs attention... possiable damage to Cat converter is likely...

PS I think the dealer is the right place for this .....use a 5star dealer if you can