2003 Toyota Camry Check Engine

bhford

My girlfriends 2003 Toyota Camry with the 4 cylinder engine has just about 70500 miles on it. Last night the check engine light came on. There are no noticable changes in the way the car drives, no wierd sounds, overheating, all the fluid levels are correct, etc. From reading the maintenance book she had a 70,000 mile check that was supposed to get done and a 75,000 mile check coming up. Is this just an idiot light coming on to remind us/get us to a dealer to turn it off, or could there be something wrong and we should bring it in and get it hooked up to the computer?

Does Toyota even do that, I know on some of my other cars the check engine light was used more as trick to get you into the dealer rather than an actual warning! Only their computer and $100 bucks will shut it off :)

Thank you!

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
If it is the "check engine light"...you can take it to Autozone and have them get the codes and post them back here and we can help you..Does it look like the pic below?...let us know and if it is get the codes and post them back here.....Jim

[attachment deleted by admin]