BC

Make
toyota
Model
tundra
Year
Miles
Engine
Truck has 360K on it and my rack pinion is leaking slightly. I was thinking about getting the seals and trying to repair myself and is why I'm here.
Has anyone done one of these? Rock auto has them for $700. and was thinking if I can do myself to go that route, but if I'm going to need specialty tools then probably not.

Any input much appreciated.

Thanks,
Conk

billr

wrench
Staff member
I'm seeing the whole rack, new, for $450 at RA. Maybe I'm not understanding just what you are after. They also show seal kits, and I would give one a try. The fact that kits are readily available hints that it is probably a reasonable DIY job.

JackC

wrench

BC

I'm seeing the whole rack, new, for $450 at RA. Maybe I'm not understanding just what you are after. They also show seal kits, and I would give one a try. The fact that kits are readily available hints that it is probably a reasonable DIY job.
My mistake, yeah I see the price is cheaper than what I originally looked at. Maybe I was looking at a different year or something who knows..
Thanks for the input and I'll attempt to repair myself and post back.

Yes, I've tried some leak stop but it made the pump whine worse so I flushed it out after a few weeks and it settled it down a bit. This pump uses transmission fluid so maybe it didn't like the leak stop for some reason. Thanks for the input! I have another question on this truck so I'll make another thread for that one. Thank you!!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is a very detailed video on how to overhaul these very common racks. They put that shyte on everything as the old lady says in that funny commercial.

So if kits are readil;y available, and it works, you just saved yourself 600$

;) :bat::fixed:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Even if you have to buy a few snap ring pliers and such, still sure beats buy a new one. If the old one is just leaking but works fine, why not try. .

billr

wrench
Staff member
That was a spammer; a technique they are using now. They post something rather innocent, Like "Hi, it's me" to get in, then add a spam link in their profile or as a reply to another thread.

BC

Okay Thanks for the info!