2004 nissan xterra,3.3,runs fine until I get it on the freeway and it loses throttle response

Make
Nissan
Model
Xterra
Year
Miles
Engine
Hey guys..this thing is weird...it runs fine until I get it up to about 50 mph then there is no throttle response...I can give it gas or let of and try again and it won't go over 1500 rpm..I get back off the freeway and nurse it along and finally it gets normal again....then runs fine until I get it back up to speed...There is a code for the knock sensor high input, and the speedometer doesn't work but I don't know if either one of those would cause this....I changed the fuel filter and pressure is ok....I am thinking it is not fuel related...anybody have an idea on this thing...thanks.....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is this DBW? What does live-data show the spark timing and MAP are doing when you go WOT?

Another way to ask my question would be...Does it "run out of steam" well before 50MPH if you take off at full throttle?

ok...I just took it out and ran it from a dead stop to about 60 mph(just guessing the speedo doesn't work).It ran fine but I know as soon as I get on the freeway it will do it again..fuel trims were all about 0...timing was advanced 24 degrees at WOT..I got on a straight road and stopped and punched it and kept it floored to at least 60 or more and it ran fine....I will try the freeway thing again and let you know....thanks...Jim

ok,so I just took it out again....drove fine on the city streets,I punched it and it took off fine,no problem...Got on the freeway and after only about 1/2 mile going at steady speed it felt like it just died...I let off the gas and it idles fine. I punched it and all it did was rev between 1500 rpm and 2000 rpm, it would not accelerate...Tried giving it a little gas to keep up to speed and it bucked until I let off.Nursed it off the freeway and stopped at the light and it idled fine,it never tried to die...Got on the city streets and drove easy for about 1/2 mile and it started running fine....I punched it and it took off like normal....this thing is weird....Jim

I have NO knowledge of this, but I was wondering if your possible intermittent or even false coded knock sensor problem would tell the ECM to not go over 1500 rpm in order to keep from damaging the engine??? Or because the speedo is not working the ECM sometimes thinks it should not supply enough fuel because you are not going fast enough.

Just some wild thoughts.

Again, I really do not know what I am talking about. But maybe it will open some minds for some REAL help.???

Perhaps something is putting it in "reduced power mode". Could be related to knock sensor or speedo problem. Does the Cruise work? Does Key off/Key on fix the problem immediately?
Common bad problem on that vehicle is coolant/ATF mixing due to bad radiator. Check those fluids for contamination.

Yeah, Jack,I was wondering if one of those was causing my problem...that is why I mentioned them...I don't know either...Dan, I will try the key thing when it does it and let you know...thanks...Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
I gotta ask... where you watching the live-data during that last session, when it crapped out?

ok...so I went on the freeway again and it crapped out so I put it in neutral, turned the key off/on and started it ,put it in gear and it drove fine all the way home...hey Bill..I wasn't watching it when it happened...Jim