Wild Bill

Make
Cadillac
Model
CTS
Year
Miles
Engine
When headlights are on instrument lights are not visible. Instrument light rehostat functions normally with headlights off.

grcauto

wrench
Isn't this normal?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is this a new situation, or did you acquire it this way? Dimming the panel lights when the heads are on seems to be pretty common, so maybe this is "normal".

You can find schematics for this system at <charm.li> I took a peek, it is far more complicated than I feel is justified for an automobile. I am reluctant to get into it. Not "refusing", but very reluctant. I hope somebody else will join in here...

jigfeett

Are you saying driving at night in the dark that the dash is totally dark and cannot be brightened to see any gauges at all?

billr

wrench
Staff member
No, I misunderstood! I thought you were saying the panel lights were too dim to see in daylight when the headlights are on. Still, though, is this a new situation, or a long-existing problem?

Wild Bill

Had the car for a year. At night the instruments are completely dark. Cannot see them at all. Since I retired no longer have access to good diagrams.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I must not be asking clearly enough, will try again... have these lights ever worked differently in the time (~year) you have had the car?

Go to <charm.li> for the schematics

grcauto

wrench
I found it quick. It's controlled by a chip in the cluster. That small long rectangle of dashes is a chip that controls those devices including the lighting control.
A scan tool that can read the IP module to see what's going on would be nice. The chip may be bad requiring a new cluster.

charm.png

Wild Bill

I must not be asking clearly enough, will try again... have these lights ever worked differently in the time (~year) you have had the car?

Go to <charm.li> for the schematics
No, been like this since I got it.

Wild Bill

No, I misunderstood! I thought you were saying the panel lights were too dim to see in daylight when the headlights are on. Still, though, is this a new situation, or a long-existing problem?
Both day and night, been like this since I inherited it a year ago.