2005 Ford Focus ZX5 Engine Light

amargupta

I have a 2005 Ford Focus ZX5 with a 2.0 liter, 4 cylinder engine and 37,600 miles on it. My engine light came on recently so I took it to a mechanic who gave me a printout that said "DTC Reported: P2004 = Unknown Trouble Code" and he further wrote on the sheet that it might have to do with the Intake Manifold Runner Control being stuck open. He reset the indicator light and told me to see a mechanic if it turned back on.

Well it turned back on earlier today, so I searched for it online and found this TSB summary on NHSTA's web site:

Technical Service Bulletins Summary
Make: FORD
Model: FOCUS
Year: 2005

Service Bulletin Number: 18092
NHTSA Item Number: 10013242
Summary Description:
MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP (MIL) ON WITH DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE (DTC) P2004 (INTAKE MANIFOLD RUNNER CONTROL STUCK OPEN - BANK 1). *TT

I'm not really sure what to do. I've heard that dealers will sometimes provide TSB related maintenance for free, but my bumper to bumper warranty has expired, though I think my powertrain warranty is 5 years/100,000 miles and should still be good. Do dealers provide TSB service for free? Should I take the car to the dearler or a much cheaper mechanic? Is the problem necessarily the one described in the TSB? How serious is an "Intake Manifold Runner Control being stuck open"?

Thanks in advance.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
It is serious and should be dealt with quickly. A TSB is only a pointer/hint on common problems and the dealer does not fix them for free. You pay. If you take it to a dealer for repairs, ask about the dealership first. They don't always have properly trained technicians. Ask your neighbors, ask the local parts house, ask your mailman, ask everyone who they recommend for repairs on your vehicle. Ask who they don't like and don't go there for repairs. Do your homework and your chances for a successful relationship with your local mechanic will be greatly improved. Good Luck, Transman