2005 Int full size school bus

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Need some help. Bus has a warning light called Trac Control. Can anyone explain its function and how to diagnose problems when light is flashing versus when it is on all the time? Thanks for any help

larche

The traction control indicator (TRAC CTRL) located in the electronic gauge cluster is used to indicate the
following three conditions.
• The TRAC CTRL lamp will be flashing whenever the Mud and Snow mode is selected using the traction
control switch (switch indicator lit).
• The TRAC CTRL indicator will be continuously lit whenever a traction control related fault has been
detected.
• If no ATC related faults have been detected, the TRAC CTRL indicator will be continuously lit only
during an ATC event.

larche

As far as I know you need their software to retrive codes, and yes they are stored.

An ATC event would be a situation when the ATC becomes active, that is, you are taking off on a slipery surface and normaly the wheels would slip, but the ATC takes control and prevents the wheels from slipping.
The light would come on to let the driver know. So a good driver ;) would know to let up a bit. :) and realise conditions are slippery.

It has been a while since working with one of these systems, just thinking out loud here, but I would think if there was a problem with the ATC, you would also have problems with the ABS and/or foundation brakes.

Can you describe any problems you are having, is the light on steady or flashing and when does it occur, under what conditions?

If you belive there is a problem, it might be an idea to get the codes retrived from a dealer.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Larche, Thanks for the reply. Just started working for a school bus co after 7 ars out of the business so I am trying to catch up on the technology. We have several busses with this problem in various forms. One had the light flashing and as you said she had turned the system on by accident. Problem solved on that one. We have four others with the lights on constantly. 3 have the ABS lights on constantly as well and one has the Trac Cont on full time with no other lights. Is Trac Cont a separate system from the ABS or are they interconnected? I have checked the ones with ABS lights on full time and they need rotors replaced as the cast iron rings are rotted badly, so was wondering if when they are replaced will that correct Trac Cont light. The one with the Tac Cont ony light only has me stumped? Thanks for any help.

larche

Yes, both systems use the same components and there is a very good possibility once the rotors are changed and if the wheel speed sensors are not damaged, both lights will go out.

The one with only the TRAC CTRL light on, does the ABS light come on when the key is first turned on and the system goes through the bulb checks?

MikeM

wrench
Placing the electronic gauge cluster (EGC) in diagnostic mode will allow the EGC to display active and previously active diagnostic messages from the electrical system controller (ESC) or from the EGC itself.
To engage the diagnostic mode turn the Ignition key ON (or in accessory), then press the Cruise ON switch and the Cruise RESUME switch simultaneously. If no faults are present, the gauge cluster display will read NO FAULTS. If faults are present, the gauge cluster will display a message with the number of faults, followed by the diagnostic codes. This procedure will also initiate the diagnostic flash codes for the engine controller and the hydraulic ABS controller. The display will show each DTC for 10 seconds, then automatically scroll to the next entry and continue to cycle through the faults. To manually cycle through the fault list, press the cluster SELECT/RESET button.

To clear codes.

Diagnostic trouble codes (DTC) will end with an "A" while the code is active. The code will remain active as long as the feature affected is active and the fault is present. If the feature is turned off or the fault is removed, the trouble code will be moved to the "previously active" list and the code will end with a "P". For example: when the work light is turned on and there is an open an active circuit fault code (611 14 11 1 A) will be logged. When the light is turned off the code will become previously active. The fault still exists, but the code will not go active until the light is turned on.
While in the diagnostic mode, previously active diagnostic trouble codes may be cleared by turning the left turn signal ON and pressing the Cruise ON switch and the Cruise SET switch simultaneously.
Diagnostic codes for the engine controller and hydraulic ABS controller will not be cleared with this procedure.
To exit the diagnostic mode, cycle the key switch or release the parking brake.

dabunk

wrench
Website
www.facebook.com
Thanks Mike for the info. Will check into it more and post back. Now my next qusestion is where are you accessing this information from? Or is this knowledge you have gained over time? Busses are their own little world lots of time and accessing this info is often difficult I find.

MikeM

wrench
Things change all the time. But last I knew there was "Fleet Isis". I believe there is a fleet isis dedicated to buses also.

MikeM

wrench
http://idealease.brattain.com/files/FI_Pamph.pdf

If your working on several Internationals, it would certainly be a big help. I believe you may also be able to just get an ISIS DVD. Little cheaper, but don't get updated. But should give you most of everything you need.
When you have a subscription to ISIS, you get the DVD as well. Then you will get a few updated DVDs through out the year. Some bandits at dealerships sell off their older DVDs, like on E bay. I do not know if the buyer can get into any kind of trouble. But the selling dealer certainly will, if ever caught. Every single application International has, connects to them through the Internet. But if the computer it is on is not connected. And I have yet to hear of International going after anyone.

larche

I forgot about that, the cruise......thing for getting codes. I guess I was spoiled with the laptop and software to interface with them.
If I remember correctly, if you (or who ever bought these buses) has recently purchased a new International buses, your dealer can get you signed up for free to the on-line BUS ISIS. Yes there was a separate site for buses. Unless that has changed?

Has the fleet you work for or on recently purchased any new International (IC now) busses?, you may qualify.

Another good place to get information on school bus related things would be www.schoolbusfleet.com
they have some good information there, and they have several forums that may have answers to your questions.