2005 Kia Spectra with DTC P0507

Scotty

I got a friend of mine with a 2005 Kia Spectra LX with the 2.0L engine auto trans with 65K miles on it. The check engine light is on for a code P0507= rpm is higher then expected. im trying to figure out how to fix this. the car has a sticky thottle body. car sat for a few years until Nov 2011 when they decided to put it on the road again. I did attempt to clean thottle body with cleaner for thottle bodies, and still sticks. the biggest problem with it is that its idling very high and using alot of gas. the owner been complaining to me about this. i cant seem to get an answer and fix to the problem. he needs this fixed by sunday nite so i need any help i can get. i know the tps sensor is work when the a/c is turned on, the rpms do drop down. im thinking of either the thottle body is damaged from sitting the time it did, or a bad IACV. i cant seem to pinpoint the issue. any ideas?? thanks!

You might check the connections on the TPS...or maybe it is bad....is the throttle plate closing all the way?...How about a vacuum leak...maybe around the throttle body gasket...is the throttle cable free and not binding?....also check all the vacuum hoses....hope some of this helps....Jim

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do you have a scan-tool, to see live-data? Does this have a conventional mechanical throttle, or is it electrically operated?

Scotty

I'll check the connections to the tps. this car does have the mechanical throttle with a cable, and the cable does move freely. only time it sticks is when the throttle body is closed all the way or not pressing on the gas. i'll check all these things and let u all know what the outcome is. bad thing is that i dont have a scan tool to get the live data. wish i had one for my other car so i can catch the stalling episodes. Scotty

billr

wrench
Staff member
Find the IAC inlet port in the TB and plug it with your thumb, that will at least tell you if the high idle is because of an IAC issue. You might also try covering the entire TB inlet using a piece of wood, if the engine keeps running like that than there is a serious vacuum leak somewhere. You have tried plugging the power-brake line, right? What is the manifold vacuum and rpm at that high idle?

ironhead

Chec to make sure there is some slack in both the throttle cable and the cruise control cable (if equipped) when at idle. If either of these cables have any tension on them, they can set this code.
Guy