2005 Misubishi Lancer OX rally Couple pats Q's?

tercr6

Recent tune up took care of engine light on . Came back two places scanned said gas cap.

Need a window washer cap , other 1/2 dropped it came off .

Parts store said origninally they could order washer cap, now another employee says no. They said need to go to Misubishi for both ,parts .

Do I ?

kev2

wrench
it would likely be quicker and assured of correct part.

Might try google for misubishi parts on line- BUT a few days at least...

PS gas cap is a guess- post code #
parts stores always recommend a part that is why they scan for free there is NO code that says change part,

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Often, filler tube has rust on the lip, sand it down with emery cloth. Clean the gas cap rubber gasket, and apply silicone grease. :idea:

Ok, had to modify, re-read, washer cap? Hmm, maybe I read wrong. :eek: Part's stores don't sell washer cap's. Dealer specific usually. If your in a pinch, and washer fluid bowl don't leak, plastic and a rubber band will do until the part come's in. :idea:

tercr6

Need both. Cleaned the gas capp and around the rime ,dealer mechanic cleared codes went out for a while came back . Both said gas cap ,didn't try silicone . What type ?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Ok, sometimes filler tube becomes so rusted up, it scrap's the the gas cap gasket o-ring. I have removed them with a pick tool, and just reverse. If code come's back, replace that gas cap, they have a safety spring, but a smoke machine would find this in a new york minute.

Just try to clean that filler tube the best you can without spark's so you don't blow up, no grinder here plz :ROFL

I use wurth's, a german company, but this link will provide you with a good product for cheaphttp://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Permatex-Dielectric-tune-up-grease/_/N-255s?itemIdentifier=34495

It will also stay in your tool box for another fix :thx

tercr6

I haven't been able to get out in over 2 mounths. Blain bleed. But as I remember there was no rust. DeaLER MECHANIC SAID HE'S TRY N ORDER PARTS .hE HAS HIS WAYS . wE WILL SEE .dARN hit the caps LOL.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If no apparent rust on filler tube for gas tank, change the gas cap. If code come's back. need to put a smoke machine on this.

This is not MITSUBISHI specific, but same procedure. I have been reading alot on smog test down there, so check the filler tube, these Korean/jap model's are all the same. Nissan is awesome for making good $$ for shop's with rusty filler tube's.

Check this link out, I would also check out vent solonoid/ gasket, may need to lower gas tank if all else seem's kosher. :idea:

http://youtu.be/-0gqVS6wp00

Hope this help's 8)

tercr6

i'll look at it but as said took a tune up before to get rid of engine light . NY dealer mechanic them took it for insp. so that's good .Engine runs good. Went away once with code cleared . I'll look at it .Thanks.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
BTW, what is the code coming back?, that would be very helpful to help you.!! 8) ;D

Is it a P0400 something code? Sometimes the vent solenoid jam's, and jumping it directly rule's out pcm/ecm. Only two wire's to jump!! 8)

tercr6

Don't know the other 1/2 took it to both places . didn't give a read out . Just said gas cap . one said small leak most likely .She cleaned the cap n ring with alcohal and cleaned around the funnel . She did show me more crap from tooth brush today. As I said I haven't been able to get out . Had a Fall with brain bleed in ICU then another Hosp. visit ,signed myself out. All's I know . I used to work on my darn cars can't no more. Just refinanced this one for 4 yrs. put repairs too much already . .Women tells me one thing then another. But mechaic I talked to today So he's ordering parts . Then take it for test drive about breaks pulsing . Think they could be turned .

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
tercr6 said:
Don't know the other 1/2 took it to both places . didn't give a read out . Just said gas cap . one said small leak most likely .She cleaned the cap n ring with alcohal and cleaned around the funnel . She did show me more crap from tooth brush today. As I said I haven't been able to get out . Had a Fall with brain bleed in ICU then another Hosp. visit ,signed myself out. All's I know . I used to work on my darn cars can't no more. Just refinanced this one for 4 yrs. put repairs too much already . .Women tells me one thing then another. But mechaic I talked to today So he's ordering parts . Then take it for test drive about breaks pulsing . Think they could be turned .
Yeah, I get what it's like to be sick. As for rotor's on this, cheaper to just put new one's. The tolerances have dropped and now that we know you have rear drum's, this is front heavy. So investing in a resurfacing/machining would be meaningless.

Cuz after rotor surfacing, brake shudder will come back soon. Cash down the tube's in labor. And another trip trip to garage. My $.02 Bite the bullet, and tell your 1/2 half to keep her ground. :thx

Also, ask for wheel balancing while they have mag's off, not expensive, may save a bearing or two. :idea:

Small leak detected means evap system, normally a P0451 maybe. did not check my data base has detected a small leak

We need this code!!!

If the code said GROSS leak, now we have a different problem.

tercr6

I thought therese were all wheel rotors ? Mechanic has looked at them a # of times I undestand investing in a long run , but he thinks the look good enough . wants 277.00 to do 4's ?

So rotors in front ,and drumbs in back, or Am i being fed > all fours rotors ? Think of it is I bought it a yr. ago and was TOLD all maintainaces were up to date , new breaks, etc. timiming belt .etc . a 89.000 it has 126,00 now . I'm fed up. Had exaust fixed/repaired flex pipe . Place looked at breaks put clips on back wards Dealeler mechanic took care of it lesser the 700 plus the others wanted . When will it end ?

tercr6

I'll fork it over . 4 yrs payments refinanced to go - big deal 18.00 diff. but 600 + in bank ,covers repairs . Not at all happy .only been a yr. but over 100,000 no warrany took their word. ,hope nothin major in between .

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
The only thing I can say here, after all the research I did oz rally series show front rotor's and rear drum's. From what I found, the rallie art had 4 disk braking system.

I know I sound like a parrot sometimes, Just look through the spokes of the wheels! Hard to mistake a drum from a rotor.

This is a drumhttp://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&docid=2wzYSp482khGMM&tbnid=vzMCvTP3hp0J5M:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.autohausaz.com%2Fmitsubishi-auto-parts%2Fmitsubishi-brake_drum-replacement.html&ei=i1neU5KtFM-OyATjqoGwBw&bvm=bv.72197243,d.aWw&psig=AFQjCNGbd_HM_klzfr34vuZOkVmXR28vww&ust=1407167230489379

This a rotorhttps://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRsXNj87GKTCyJOGgbzncsXv1KB9GXQ4UVGWBpmuGHW6wh6Zc82dQ

They are quite different and easy to identify through mag wheels. Just need to go outside and look. :idea: $.02

tercr6

I'm thinking twice . Buget right now ya know. The Mechanic said he'd take it for a spin . Told him get it up to 40 n brake see . He's going to find and order a gas cap and washer flid cap.

Yeh i'll have my better 1/2 tell him to call me .She didn't even know he did the other day . ;)

I'd look , I'm sure i have before but my mind . :D

Oh I know the difference between rotors and drums . I used to work and replace many of a my own vehicles parts .

Had to bang the hell otta the drumbs to get m off. Rusted. replaced brake cylinders , sent a ford to mechanic tow fees . 2 weeks ,not even 1/2 done on a distributor . had it towed home ,went and got a used one ,did it all myself ,turned the ing. car running . dam tow people broke a brake line . had to fix that too.