big al

Make
Chevrolet
Model
Silverado 1500
Year
Miles
Engine
Having some electrical gremlins with a 2005 Silverado. Started off as dome lamps would turn off and on by themselves and sometimes stay on, then door locks would lock and unlock by themselves, then the headlight switch and heater control lamps are illuminated at all time (even with key off),the cluster powers down. And now one of the rear windows ( crew cab truck) have stopped working (can hear a click when activating master switch). Also the transfer case switch goes haywire at times and goes neutral then has difficulty going back to 2 hi, other times its just fine. I know there is a ground junction that often needs to be cleaned on these chevys on the driver side frame near the mount, and ill be cleaning that soon. Does anyone know there are more these ground points. My instinct is telling me to go in the ground direction with this thing.

big al

Does anyone know the various bulkhead ground locations for these trucks?

Boomer

Does anyone know the various bulkhead ground locations for these trucks?
Looks like the grounds for things like locks and interior lights are G200 and G203

Attachments

• G200 2005 Silverado.JPG
    G200 2005 Silverado.JPG
    51.6 KB · Views: 2
  • G203 2005 Silverado.JPG
    G203 2005 Silverado.JPG
    51 KB · Views: 2

billr

wrench
Staff member
Big al, are you still working on this? Do you want me to try finding a schematic to post?

big al

Yes please. Still working on it. Today i got around to searching for grounds and cleaning them. Pulled the dash apart and found the the light (panel illumination) wire is live constantly. Its this way for the headlight switch, fog/bed light swtch, steering wheel finger controls and hvac illumination. Door locks and dome lights function as they should. But the rear windows still dont roll down either (they used to work fine). The speedo and gauge cluster works as it should and shuts off as it should also. I kind of half expected a bad headlight switch that was back feeding but after removing the switches the harness is still live so i dont think my problem lays in the switches.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am working with something new, and haven't figured out yet how to grab and post info from it.

What I see as a common ground for those circuits you mentioned at the beginning is a ground point labeled "G200". Its location is described as: behind right side of dash, near right "A" pillar.

Since you mentioned a transfer case switch, I assume this is 4WD. What engine VIN letter? (There are several 5.3, including hybrid and flex-fuel) How about "trim level", like LS or LT or such? As I fuss with trying to capture schematics, I would prefer to go for the ones for your exact Silverado variant...

grcauto

wrench
Do you have any aftermarket wiring, trailer lights etc or modules, cameras or such.
Do you have a good scan tool? Might be nice to see what the BCM is doing.