Model
352xi
Year
Miles
189ish k.km
Engine
3.0l
2a32/2a47 or obd P1017,

Car came to me after being towed to shop, apprentice could not open hood, so broke it open, found a no start, called a starter.

Shop foreman says to me to replace as he feels this is more up my ally than the apprentice.

Start car, notice long start, check engine on, rough idle and reduced power mode is clearly on.

Also, of note, a crank sensor signal code is also being thrown, but I have rpm PID data on scanner, and dash rpm also shows engine speed.

Here is where it gets weird.

Feeble trouble shoot chart I could find asked to see if scope is showing 1ms pulses @ 5v "KEY ON"

End of day arrives, I know europe cars will drain batt over night if key left in ignition, but scope is still connected, I am getting ready to close shop, but see vvt sensor in back probe is still generating a 1 ms volt signal on both pin the chart asked me to check for. Only thing I know before touching the car, half the inside was taken apart for hood cable replacement, and rear end is taken apart also for bat + removal, apprentice basically tore the car apart before I even started on it.

Hence why I got told to do the rest of the job. But now, this oscilloscope readiung has me confused, how is this vvt sensor generating exactly what BMW ask for spec "KEY OFF/in my hand"??

Any advice would be apreciated, if needed, I can produce snapshot and pics of key in hand 0-5v, 1ms intervals.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Of note, bolt on starter busted on removal, had to remove entire intake to get a drill in there to remove non feral bolt. Something to do with electron corrosives from cross metal alloy.

Did remove crank sensor connecto as it sits 1/4inch from starter casing and could not drill staright. False crank code? or did I knock it whilst drilling. But it does not account for vvt code and reduced power as DME(digital motor module sees rpm all day) on scanner and dash and ,oh, it starts and fires.

So that is basically it, that is the most info I can give at this point.

Using autel elite scanner along with same brand oscilloscope.

billr

wrench
Staff member
I am clueless, but will ask questions. What does this mean:

"Feeble trouble shoot chart I could find asked to see if scope is showing 1ms pulses @ 5v "KEY ON"

Is the scope connected to ground and a VVT thingy? Is it a solenoid or something more complicated? Is that a 1ms pulse, 0-5V "square", and at what frequency?

This sounds like it is going to be a real bitch, good luck!

My guess would be that key is off, but sensor circuit remains active until PCM "goes to sleep". Charge battery if needed, don't be fooled by undercharged battery that causes electronic system shutdown sequence problems.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well, we can call this one fixed. But not really.

Client finally came by to pick up car, and he was real honest with us, he said he had had this problem for awhile now, and that he would come back sometime to get the VVT issue fixed later on. After seeing the fleet in his name, this beemer is the last of his worries, his kids use it, he says, to boot around town, and he doesn't mind the reduced power. :D

So in essence, I was worried about nothing, this thread will probably be revisted when he comes back. I will post back my findings then. For now, just happy it wasn't something I did wrong. Even day time techs like me make mistakes. ;) This time, I was just lacking certain info, and too many indian chiefs on one dossier.

Thx for replies.

@Bill, it was square pattern, and expected as much as other "feeble" but better chart I found in all data asked if digital signal was being transmitted through DME.

I took the time to download both trouble charts, you will see, we don't have much to go on sometimes with mitchel and all data when it comes to certain older europe cars. Screenshot (44).png

Attachments

Last edited: