Make
Buick
Model
Rendezvous
Year
Miles
Engine
3.5 3500 V6
Hey guys read a thread from 2014 regarding someone who had an issue with their 2002 Buick Rendezvous wiper motor not working did the relay swap and still nothing. I'm getting power to the fuse with my light, I've also attempted the tap method on the motor itself to see if it would budge after a few good whacks and nothing. Any suggestions? I spoke to a local guy that mentioned the circuit boards typically die in the motors versus the actual motor, can anyone shed light on this? Trying to get this wiper motor running so I can sell her. Beautiful car everything works except the wipers lol kinda a turn off for buyers. Any help is appreciated.

-Lex

NickD

wrench
40 bucks for a pulse mode module.

rockauto.com wants 180 bucks for the windshield motor, use to be six bucks. Inflation. Common problem back then was dirty contacts on the parking switch, if not in park, dirty contacts for the run mode, speed was with resistors in series.

40 bucks for a pulse mode module.

rockauto.com wants 180 bucks for the windshield motor, use to be six bucks. Inflation. Common problem back then was dirty contacts on the parking switch, if not in park, dirty contacts for the run mode, speed was with resistors in series.
Now I've got that part actually buddy had a spare laying around just didn't swap it yet. You reckon it may be that versus the motor? I guess I'll try swapping that out and see. It's such a pain to get to though, may have to take the actual motor out.

NickD

wrench
One of my best tools is a 13.5 volt 120 VAC powered power supply with a current limit, use that for testing components, doesn't hurt the supply if short circuited, but can blow a car battery with sparks if shorted.

Of course if the item tested is dead, meter will show 13.5 volts, ammeter zero.

Windshield wiper motors are typically DC brush motors, if the brush is worn and the brush holder is not restricted, will short out the commutators and will get sparks and high current flows.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Does anybody have a schematic of this wiper circuit they can post? I would like to try helping this OP, not just throw out ambiguous info or useless trivia.

Does anybody have a schematic of this wiper circuit they can post? I would like to try helping this OP, not just throw out ambiguous info or useless trivia.
Hey thanks for the reply! So update I replaced the solenoid or blackbox and that fixed the wiper, but now the damn car won't start. Now I'm no master mechanic, but that usually doesn't happen right? This car absolutely hates me lol I'll check the relays tomorrow. I'm just bummed after all the work just to now have it not start. It cranks, but it doesn't start. I took a glance at the fuel pump fuse and that looks good. Any ideas??

grcauto

The windings of that motor should be something under 25 ohms. If they are open you know you found the problem.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The pictures I see of that wiper motor assembly show a 5-pin connector. Which two should have 25 ohms between them? Are you even sure about that 25 ohms? That would be only 1/2A current, not enough, I think, for a wiper motor.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Are you even sure about that 25 ohms? That would be only 1/2A current, not enough, I think, for a wiper motor.
For sure, now car wont start and he f ed with the PDC center. Could be classic irish green he disturbed in the pdc. I talk to irish green all the time, it is my greatest darkness up north.

billr

wrench
Staff member
What specific "solenoid or black box" got replaced?

For sure, now car wont start and he f ed with the PDC center. Could be classic irish green he disturbed in the pdc. I talk to irish green all the time, it is my greatest darkness up north.

I get the PDC but what's with the Irish Greene? Lol am I missing something. It looks like I'll be needed to test the ohms to see what's going on with the motor itself. Although why would this cause a crack no start? Is suggesting it may have fried something?

What specific "solenoid or black box" got replaced?
Hey Bill it was the pulse module Nick posted, I had previously had a used one from another Buick laying around since this car was a friends of mine. Originally I had replaced the ECU and re-programmed it, because the engine codes indicated a dead ECU. Im wondering though I remember I only programmed one key...but not the second. Do you think that may have triggered a security thing if I used the key not programmed? I didn't program the second key because I couldn't find it originally, but since then found it and threw it on the keyring not thinking about it.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Irish green means corrosion of contacts.

Usually looks like this. This is a daimler pdc, mopar, but gm had same issues, and if you look where buick put this pdc, no wonder it takes humidity, they located it right next to a drain o_O :eek: pdc corrosion.JPG

Last edited: