2006 Chev Impala RKE poor Range

charles

I bought a 2006 Chev Impala, so far happy with it. It comes with On Star and Remote Keyless Entry, and the range is almost non -existant, (15 ft, sometimes). I have replaced the battery in the Fob, with no noticable difference in range. Apparently the remote should work up 150 feet, that is not happening it works but you almost have to be touching the car.

I have read some articles on this problem and one option is to resync to fob using the DIC. I need someone to explain why a resync will help with a range problem. Another article states that the antenna in the window be replaced with one installed in the driver side door, it was suggested that static electricity builds up on the windshield and then discharges and that can sometimes screws up the circuitry.

Another article stated there was a tech service bulletin #3764 that addressed this problem and not having access to this TSB, I am not sure what it stated.

Just curious to get everyones thoughts on this.

Thanks in advance.

Gus

wrench
I agree...a resynch is not the answer.....

But 150 feet? I don't think so.....

Try standing 50 feet away and try it.....now hold the fob so it is touching the underside of your chin and press a button....what happens?

There are several TSB's out there...but if there was an antenna problem, you would think that it wouyld have been replaced long before this.....

charles

The guy at the parts dept of Chevy told me that he has done this and it works, the first thought was, "and where will the guy from candid camera be hiding?". Last night my son in law told me to try touching the fob to my forehead. . . . so today when I am out I will try this, if a passerby grins asks me if I own a Chev then I will know for certain. :thx

Gus

wrench
By doing it this way, your whole body acts as a giant antenna.......whenver a car was in the lot across the street, I would do this to activate the horn, to easily find the vehicle....

kev2

wrench
the TSB# you posted.... was not a good format for GM TSB's...

there is a TSB Concernng the "RKE range" and some other issues I think onstar maybe.... BE ADVISED a TSB is NOT a freebie - I will try to post it monday- but your authorized Chevy dealer can always help you with this TSB,

07-08-52-001

NickD

wrench
That reminds me, last week was kayaking and my remote got wet, wouldn't work. Drivers side door lock was jammed from not using it, any more force, would have broke the key, but thank goodness, the passenger side opened. Took my remote apart when I got home and dried it out, works now, but forgot all about that lock being jammed.

But you have both a transmitter and a receiver, where is that receiver buried in your car. Some just have a 3" receiving antenna where a 6" can work miracles.

I like that electrostatic build up on the window theory, have to use that when I am BSing somebody, more than likely, poor soldering joints in your receiver.

charles

Well while out this morning at the park I tried the fob to the chin theory at approx 50', no joy. Then I just tried pointing at the car and everything worked! I am resigning myself to the fact that sometimes this system will work and other times not so much.

Guess I just got spolied by the after market system I had on my other car. Thanks to all who responded, much appreciated.

Gus

wrench
The way you are describing it, my guess is the remote itself......those contacts under the buttons in the remote don't last forever.....

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You are going to need a tech 2 to program that key fob. Don't do this next to another RKE equipped car. :idea: A known issue with the remotes are the battery holder contacts desolder after time. You can re-solder these by removing the battery and verifying the contact are solid, even if they appear solid, I sometimes just re-solder them anyways. Helps in most cases.

To check that remote, there is a special tool that verifies the RKE signal for each button. Highly doubt this tool is available to the general public.

I also found this method but it is for a 2001 chevy pick-up, may work for you, try it out;

Transmitter Programming Procedure (Method 1 - No Tools Required)

Close all the vehicle doors.
Insert the ignition key into the ignition lock cylinder.
Press and hold the door unlock switch.
While holding the door lock switch in the unlock position, cycle the ignition ON, OFF, ON, OFF.
Release the door unlock switch. The doors will lock and unlock to confirm the program mode.
Press and hold the LOCK button and the UNLOCK button simultaneously on one transmitter. After a delay of approximately 15 seconds , the doors will lock and unlock to confirm the programming of that transmitter.
Repeat the previous step to program up to four transmitters.
Turn the ignition switch to the RUN position in order to exit the keyless entry transmitter mode.
Operate the transmitter functions in order to verify correct system operation.

Here is that TSB;

#07-08-52-001C: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters) - (Aug 27, 2009)

Subject: Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) Inoperative, Poor Range, Tire Pressure Monitor (TPM) Message Displayed, Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) (Replace/Reprogram RCDLR, Replace Antenna and Transmitters)

Models: 2006-2007 Buick Lucerne
2006-2007 Cadillac DTS
2006-2007 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo

This bulletin is being revised to update the Parts Information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 07-08-52-001B (Section 08 - Body and Accessories).
Condition

Important: This bulletin does not apply to vehicles built after the following dates:
DTS / Lucerne: 5/1/07
Impala / Monte Carlo: 3/1/07
For vehicles built after these dates, refer to SI for diagnosis and repair information.

Some customers may comment about one or more of the following conditions:
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) transmitters will not program, function and/or the RKE transmitter low battery message is displayed.
The Service Tire Monitor System message is displayed.
The new RKE transmitter cannot be programmed.
The Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) and/or Remote Vehicle Start (RVS) transmitter has poor range.

Cause

Any of these concerns may be caused by an internal fault with the transmitters and/or the Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (RCDLR) software/hardware.
Correction

DO NOT REPLACE THE BCM.

Important:
The 2006 and 2007 Impala LS without AP8 does not have a coax antenna.
The 2006 and 2007 Lucerne without AP3 or AP8 does not have a coax antenna.

Replace the RCDLR module and the RCDLR antenna using the following procedure:
Impala / Monte Carlo
1.1. Remove the driver's side "A" pillar molding and I/P closeout panel.
1.2. Unplug the speaker.
1.3. To expose the RCDLR antenna, partially remove the driver's side upper I/P closeout panel (near windshield).
1.4. Remove the clips holding the RCDLR antenna wire at the RCDLR module and along the "A" pillar.
1.5. Cut the old RCDLR antenna wire a minimum of 152 mm (6 in) from the button (connecting to the windshield), leaving that portion of the old RCDLR antenna connected to the windshield.
1.6. Remove the I/P carrier bolt and remove the old RCDLR antenna.
1.7. Remove the RCDLR module.
1.8. Install the new RCDLR module.
1.9. Lay in the new RCDLR antenna and reinstall the carrier bolt.
1.10. Connect the new antenna to the RCDLR antenna module.
1.11. Clip the new RCDLR antenna into place using the existing holes on the "A" pillar.
1.12. Reinstall the I/P close-out panel.
1.13. Reconnect the speaker wire.

Important: Be sure that the end of the old RCDLR antenna is tucked behind the "A" pillar molding. The button on the windshield is no longer functional, however leaving the cover on the button will provide a cleaner look to the vehicle.

1.14. Reinstall the "A" pillar molding and I/P side closeout panel.

Reprogram the RCDLR with the latest software update available through TIS2WEB.

Important:
On vehicles equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring (TPM), the tire type and tire pressures must be selected in the module set-up using the Tech 2. If this step is not performed, the RCDLR will not retain the tire pressures after the TPM system is learned.
Tip: When selecting the Tire Type/Pressure, choose the appropriate selection on the Tech 2 based on psi, not kPa. The vehicle must be driven immediately. Monitor the tire pressures on the DIC and drive the vehicle until dashes no longer appear.
After the learn procedure is complete, be sure to set the tire pressures according to the information on the tire placard.

If equipped with Tire Pressure Monitoring System, perform the Tire Pressure Sensor Relearn using the J 46079 following the procedure found in SI.
Replace both Remote Keyless Entry transmitters. New transmitters are identified by a star on the back of the transmitter. It is important to verify that the replacement transmitters have a star on the back.
Program the transmitters using the procedure listed in SI.

Parts Information

Important: Refer to the parts catalog using the VIN of the vehicle being serviced to identify the correct part numbers.
Impala / Monte Carlo

Part Number

Description

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Impala with RVS Only)

Antenna -- Remote Control Door Lock Receiver (Monte Carlo Only)

Transmitter -- 4 Button with Trunk

Transmitter -- with Remote Vehicle Start System

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and without RVS)

Receiver -- Remote Control Door Lock ( with RKE and RVS)

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

R9730*

RCDLR Module, RCDLR Antenna and RKE Transmitter -- Replace

Impala / Monte Carlo

2.2 hrs

DTS

1.8 hrs

Lucerne

1.4 hrs

* This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Gus

wrench
Remember that is a TSB......you will be zapped with the price of a module, antenna, remotes, and the labor to install/reprogram.....kind of costly....

What you can do, is see if this was ALREADY done......if this was a problem, it would have been done under warranty in the first 3 years....in fact it might have already been done....this can be checked by any
dealership by looking at it's warranty history....all they need is the VIN number.....

But I would have that remote checked.....the remote doesn't have to be programmed, because it does work at times....As Nick said, ANY GM dealership has a tool to check the remote......go to the parts counter, that's where we kept ours.....Just turn the tool on and lay it on the pad of the tool.....now lightly touch each button.....a light and beep from the tool will occur if a signal is sent....should do this for all buttons.....if it doesn't, try pressing the button a little harder....if it works, this confirms a bad contact.....if one or more buttons don't work at all, you probably need a new fob....and maybe that's why you have an intermittant problem, due to A BAD CONTACT SOMETIMES....

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Your absolutely right Gus, what I should have said was if the fob is replaced, it will need reprogramming. Thanx for correcting that. :thx

NickD

wrench
Was wearing a pocketed tee shirt with swimming trunks while kayaking, leaned over and my keys fell into the lake. But floated long enough so I could grab them. Said that was dumb. Did lube my door locks, work nice again, but the remote didn't work when I got back to the car. Was wondering about sweaty hands in this hot weather. Salt water is notorious for sucking up RF energy.

Yes the codes are burnt into the transmitting chip with a random access generator. When walking through a crowded parking lot, entertain myself by pushing my remote button, so far, no luck. But if I do manage to open someone else's car, they could open mine.

Ha, I did try holding my remote to my chin, only thing it did was unlock some parts of my brain, so I could remember some stuff I long forgotten.

NickD

wrench
Only played with one for a couple of seconds, fires out primarily a digital code with some ringing on the leading and trailing edge of those pulses. Didn't hook it up to my spectrum analyzer, and sure doesn't have any kind of a tuned circuit you would expect in any transmitter.

But about 12 feet is good enough for me, takes me two seconds to walk that far with a hand full of groceries, and takes that long for the trunk to pop open.