chevy
Model
tahoe
Year
Miles
over 200 thousand
Engine
v8
i have a 2006 chevy tahoe over 200 thousdand miles on it. this tahoe is fully loaded. leather seats sun roof and all. it is only 2 wheel drive. the other day I pulled the tahoe in the drive and shut it off and took our the key. I noticed the blower motor still running. I started it up again and shut it off and then the blower motor was not running any more. now. when I go to drive it. I have trouble getting the blower motor to start turning . i shut it off again and start it back up and it would start working. i do not know where to start looking for this problem. is it the blower motor switch. the ignition switch or what. i am at a lost.

Thank you for all your help.

Troy

billr

wrench
Staff member
Want a quick guess? The relay controlling that blower is bad. Try swapping it with a similar one on the panel. Am I correct in reading this as the heater/AC blower, not the engine-cooling fan? If the relay isn't it, then we will probably have to wait a bit for somebody to post electrical schematics.

NickD

wrench
Not a mind reader, either you have manual or an automatic climate control, so so-called resistor for blower speed control is actually an electronic control module, automatic is quite more expensive, but the usual problem with these things, the power MOSFET transistor shorts out and your AC/heater blower motor is running all the time.

If its the original blower motor will be a miracle if it lasted over 200K miles, cheap unrepairable blower motor where the brushes are completely worn out, lucky to hit 70K miles with these things.

Use to repair these things with two new bronze bushings for a dime each and a set of brushes for a quarter, history, would only be happy with a GM blower, they pull 20 amps, Four Seasons and others are crap. Run around 70 bucks. Last one I worked on, the fan was heat mounted to the motor shaft, no way to remove it so no way to open the motor, no screws, spot welded those could be drilled out. Woman friend with GM blower motor problems was robbed 1,500 bucks, claimed her blower motor blew the electronic module, possible, but also the BCM, impossible.