Make
Ford
Model
E350 Super Duty
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 liter
I made a very stupid, rookie mistake. I am 68 years old and have worked on cars as a non-professional for over 50 years. Sunday I decided to change the transmission fluid and filter on my 2006 E350 Super Duty, my work van. I dropped the pan, changed the filter, cleaned the pan, put on the new filter, and installed the pan. Measured how much fluid had drained and put in new fluid. Started the van, No forward gears, reverse only. Called the owner of a auto repair shop I have worked with. He gave me several ideas to try, but no help. I call him back Monday after I drop the transmission pan again and find it almost empty. We are talking and he says "Did you put the transmission fluid in the right place?" Damn....I added the transmission fluid to the motor oil crankcase! Drained crankcase, removed filter, poured in a quart of clean oil and let it drain out. Put in drain plug and a new filter and six quarts oil. I will change oil and filter again after 50 to 100 miles. Anything else I need to do? Besides getting a Lobotomy

billr

wrench
Staff member
I doubt you harmed the engine at all. The drain/filter/flush/refill already done should be more than adequate

I would worry more about running the trans "dry", but it is never completely dry, and I also doubt you ran it long. I would not fret about that either, unless some trans symptom suddenly pops up.

jigfeett

Agreed.
On a side note I have heard and witnessed that there have been instances of water,
A person goes into the store buys the fluid,. trans or engine oil and refills with water then returns the bottles and the next guy gets water. buyer be ware and always check what is in the bottle. $.02

Last edited:

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Well here's the rest of the story. After adding transmission fluid I drove the van Sunday and all was fine, drove Monday all was fine, drove Tuesday all was fine until evening when the transmission started to slip in Drive. The slipping kept getting worse Wednesday so the van is now parked at home until I figure out the next step.

i

billr

wrench
Staff member
Any codes set or pending? How long did you run the engine when the trans was low on fluid? The first thing I would check would be hydraulic line-pressure. Do you know what model this trans is?

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Well all. The verdict was a rebuilt 4R75W - 4 speed automatic. I would not have had it replaced but the van is 2 ton, engine runs good, body has a few dents, but I do body work and painting. And I worked out a deal between the auto repair shop that I barter work with, and the Transmission shop and got the complete job done for $2100.00 and a little side work on my part at the repair shop.