2006 Ford E350 Super Duty 5.4 liter 182,000 miles Loud Rattle mostly at slower speeds

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Make
Ford
Model
e350 Super Duty
Year
Miles
Engine
5.4 liter
I posted this some time ago, but finally blamed it on the extension ladder on the roof racks. Extension ladder is gone only 8' and 10' step ladders with 4 ratchet straps per ladder and a couple bungee cords on each. The rattle sounds the same as it did before the ladder change. Every bolt is tight on the ladder racks. It almost sounds like the back doors, but I know how sounds are. Back doors close and lock sound, as does side slider, and passenger doors also. I am attaching a video for sound only. This noise has been bugging my OCD for years. Any ideas welcome. Rattle....rattle....rattle

Attachments

You need two people, a driver and some one to ride in back to listen and feel doors and body panels, etc. If they can muffle the noise by pushing on door, etc, you will know what to look at.

Find a circle route that has a bump or two that causes the noise to happen at X mph (parking lot?) and you keep circling during diagnosis. Otherwise, testing could take a long time. Or find a route that has a thosand bumps.

Last edited:

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
Yesterday morning it was about 45 degrees Fahrenheit and the van made the loud rattle for first few blocks almost continually.
It seems like even fairly smooth roads cause the rattle
I dread the thought of cleaning out the van so someone can walk around. I have a painting/handyman business and the cargo area is full.
Is there any history of this problem anyone is aware of?

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
I did try slight application of parking brake (no change). Also, I put new pads on the rears a few weeks ago (disc) had rattle before and after. I checked front pads, 3/4 pad remains and no pad to rotor play. But I will try some brake drag and see what happens.

Website
www.billjohnson.info
Ok time for me to admit to poor thinking. The rattle was the 10 foot aluminum step ladder on the roof rack. The 8 foot fiberglass step and the 28 foot aluminum extension ladder make very little noise, but the 10 foot step rattles through the entire van.

jigfeett

so you must have removed all the ladders and no more noise?? It kind of sounds like the rack is under tension and vibrates. my $.02.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I almost got punched in the face for one type deal like this. I am sorry, I am off work and have time to respond varying my schedule.

I am not proposing a fix here, just writing an anecdote. some guys here who work in this trade day in and day out will appreciate.

So, here goes.

First off, I think the guy was stoned cuz he didn't smell like bad mescal equatorial tequila.

Second, I knew he was stoned when I test drove his work van. Duh, smells like a voodo Inuit sweat hut. I think this skyjack may take longer, cuz that was a long day, with some one else's money, and this f uck is just too stoned to know if he want cream and/or sugar.

Call his boss, boss says fix what needs fixin, and get my worker on site. I say, truck is fine, he can leave right now!!!

That did not go well.

Client, worker who is not on site, thinks his work truck is falling apart cuz the whole dame thing is humming. Pull ladders off, still humming, but less, but in his weed mind at 9 am at this point he is not seeing OR hearing the same as me. I am still waiting for the coffee to hit his brain so he can go to work, cuz his boss is lighting up the line.

Found A (yes, "A" cap) cap round enough to shove in roof rack support that had lost a end cap. They do install those for a reason, some may think it is for asthetics, some might think it is for safety. Nope, shyte like this works like a windbag in a honest scottishman with a no undies but still wear a skirt. , no more hum.

End of story conclusion, dude was stoned. Many ppl lost :money: that day.

Funny thing is, still seeing van at shop for regular, but have not seen that particular driver slash plumber.electrician. slash I will reinvent your universe guy.

This guy was actually bullying me, threatening to punch my lights out if I didn't find the hum. WTF!! A 2cent thing I shoved in the ladder rack shut him up. When he got clear minded enouh, I can hear his boss yelling on phone. And a hole still wants to hit my light out button. Things got intense, a few shop guys came forward, I held them off, I said I will just beat him at his own game, and watch the shyte fly off his work van when he realizes he is actually loosing his shyte on the highway. Hows that for dead serious. I took inventory of this guy, met him later in a bar, asked him if he remembered me. He said, should I? I said no. Bought a round for friends, not for him, you can be assured of that. Funny thing, never saw him back that bar where we like to play pool.

billj

MR BILL
Website
www.billjohnson.info
I wonder if it would help, as I have seen on some other vans with ladder carriers, are squares of thick carpeting under the contact points of the ladder and the ladder carrier. Perhaps this would act as a vibration and/or sound insulator. Or maybe I could just start smoking weed and not give a toot.:giveup: