Parkman

Make
Subaru
Model
Outback
Year
Miles
Engine
How much trouble is it to get at a Evap pressure sensor on a 2006 Subaru 3.0 ? getting a code PO 453 runs well ! these sensors seem to be real expensive !

grcauto

I would do some testing first. Sensor is usually on top of the tank.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Sorry, late to this one. Ok, first, read my disclaimer, it will help you AND me come to a conclusion.

Sometimes I mash french and english together and end up sounding chinese.

;)

Removing the rear seat will reveal an access panel. That is of course if we are talking about the (fuel tank pressure sensor).

A pick and pull place may have that, but you could try dorman, maybe they make that, I will check on that also as I check my data base for your particular code, I will read it and post back my findings and hints of to do stuff. Back in a minute/

ok, back

Sorry, google was not my friend or yours this time, just got back from checking. Aftermarket only sells the entire unit.

Do you have access to a live data scanner that reads fuel tank pressure? Post back if yes. If not, did is not going to be easy to diagnose. You can ohm check the three wire deal. If that is good, ecm or sensor. At that point, it is a guess. So by checking 4.5v and ground, the you eliminated 3/4 of the problem. And to tell the truth, NEVER seen a pcm go south internally only on the fuel pressure senor circuit. Usually normal subaru rust pile stuff, or the actual sensor it self.

Anyway, here is an addition to flow charts that GRC was so kind to provide, maybe with both, you can wrap your head around this. That actual removal of pump is easy as pie if the area is rust free, which, BTW, is very rare on a subaru up here. There are a nightmare rust wise up here. Do not recommend my family to buy these cars just because of that. But sure are fun to drive. But if your in arizona, my kid son could do it. Not the trouble shoot, but the nuts ands bolts of it. The chart is in pdf form.

Anyway, hope this helps, have a happy new yr.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I love flow charts like this, just at step 3 they hint replace ecm. Stupid and useless chart, but that is all that is available. The rest is experience I guess, oh, and tooling.

If you don't have access to a scanner, try something with elm on board. If you lived close to me, I have a high end scanner I want to give away, does subaru all day long. Update is 2012, you would love this briefcase.

Disregard comment on GRC, I might have confused that with another thread, or the chart somehow diasapeard. Anyway, you now have one.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Remember, this is a sensor "HIGH" volt/input code, so focus on that. That means the ecm IS monitoring and reporting back, so last thing to suspect is ecm. Focus on a short to volt open/wiring etc, if all ok, sensor.

Sherlock holmes theory.

Parkman

I love flow charts like this, just at step 3 they hint replace ecm. Stupid and useless chart, but that is all that is available. The rest is experience I guess, oh, and tooling.

If you don't have access to a scanner, try something with elm on board. If you lived close to me, I have a high end scanner I want to give away, does subaru all day long. Update is 2012, you would love this briefcase.

Disregard comment on GRC, I might have confused that with another thread, or the chart somehow diasapeard. Anyway, you now have one.

Parkman

Thanks nick yeah I don't own a real good scanner, worse yet getting the car away from my daughter long enough to check things, and she lives 35 miles away, glad it doesn't effect cars running! thanks for letting me know about the seat access panel .

grcauto

What Nick says about flow charts is VERY true. We call them trouble trees because you likely get into trouble replacing parts that are perfectly good. The best thing is to get to know the circuit well by studying the diagrams and read the flow chart to get an idea of testing. Do not just follow the flow chart as it is.