2007 Ford Focus hard to push gas pedal

toolhawk

The gas pedal is hard to push down to accelerate. Once it does go down, it works fine, until the gas pedal is released, then it's hard to push down again. 54,000 miles. Just started happening. Any ideas what could be wrong? Dirty throttle body? Thank you for your help.

Wild Bill

Check the throttle body for cokink (buildup around the throttle plate). If you clean the buildup the problem should be cured.

Wild Bill

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If I can add to you Wild Bill, I would suggest doing exactly what Bill says using a used tooth brush and carb cleaner, a stiffer brush such as bronze or steel wire will score and remove factory protective coating from throttle body inside surface, also soak that IAC in carb cleaner and also clean the idle air bypass passage with same toothbrush and product, after, start engine and empty some cleaner into throttle throat and rev engine to prevent stall, should be real clean after that and stop binding. Also, disconnect gas pedal wire at throttle and actuate to see if that throttle plate is really the culprit and not another source, I highly doubt a rusted accel wire at this age.

toolhawk

fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed fixed THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!

NickD

wrench
Is Ford still returning the PCV hose to the air cleaner? If so, that is the cause of excessive carbon buildup in the TB throttle vane. Would have thought they would have figured that out by now. Engine should be decarbonized as bit of carbon on the piston rings permits more blowby increasing the carbon buildup at an exponential rate. Fuel injectors also become a mess as are the intake valves. Bet you will find a lot more carbon buildup than just in the throttle body, that is just the start.

No such thing as clean burning gasoline, sholud restore our truth in advertising act. But as long as our politicians can BS, why not everybody else?