2007 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0 4F27E trans concerns(long)

bhohn0

Hi All, bought this Focus new 6/07. Currently has about 10,700 miles on it. Hoping someone might have some idea what is going on with this little Ford. No shifting issues until it had about 3500 miles on it. First noticed ONLY when in heavy bumper to bumper traffic. When you come to a stop, if you stop moderately hard vs. let it coast down, you get a rough 2 to 1 downshift. The first couple of times it happened reminded me a lot of the infamous Chrysler bump shift but a little harder. I took it in for it's free 1st oil change and asked about the rough shifts, was told "oh yeah, all Focus's do that". I commute about 82 miles per day, so I am in it a lot(over 2hrs a day) and when traffic gets bad this is very annoying. I do have 2 vehicle I try to split up my commute mileage with. By time it had around 6000 miles it was starting to happen in just normal driving. If you allow it to coast to a stop, it will only do it sometimes. With the miles on it now, it will even occur on a cold trans. Somewhere around 9000 miles I noticed differential noise from 25mph-45mph under light throttle. I guess that is from the rough 2-1 shift, yeah when it does it bad the trans actually makes a clunking sound. This sound is repeatable just by shifting from P to D, or P to R now. It also didn't do that when new either. Must be getting some nice clearences in there about now! Does the rough shifting about 75% of the time now when coming to a stop. There have been 2 times now also that it would not upshift under full throttle from 2nd gear to 3rd. I was actually able to hit the rev limiter and it set an engine overspeed code(dealer told me the only code that was present). I was not given an explaination for that. I have had the trans computer reflashed one time, and updated just recently with software that was suppose to address "shift quality concerns". Ford had an engineer supposedly look at it and pronounce it normal. I have driven several Focus's and have not experienced this with them. I have been to 3 different dealers now, they all now say they cannot do anything else more until the trans fails or there are codes and a check engine light. I do not know if this is related or not , but it has a strange shaking/vibrating through out the car from 45mph up. Does matter if the trans is locked up or not btw. I have shut down in N and it still does it. Dealer has switched wheels and tires(205-50 16's) with another Focus, same thing. Dealer also replaced the orginal tires for strange wear issue and did an alignment(toe out of spec). Sometimes you can drive 30 miles and it is perfectly smooth, then starts up. When it is doing it, you can floor it or completely let off, no noticable change. If you very slowly back off the throttle while it is shaking/vibrating it will get worse. Never does it on a cold engine. It is related to ambient temp, the warmer outside it is the quicker it will happen. Dealer has no clue at this point what the shaking was, and was trying to get me to believe it is also normal for a Focus with the 16" tires. Thanks for reading my long post. Bob

crunch

wrench
If your dealer will not fix it find another dealer or call the 800 customer service no in your owners manual.

Next time you go to the dealer ask the service department for the 800 customer service no.
Ask for a factory trained transmission techto check it out.
Some times they justr turn repair or wearranty stuff over to the greese monkey
If no help go higer up the ladder.
Talk to the sales department and let them know the service department is not fixing it for you or chace down the manager or owner.

And be sure to keep a record of when you take it in and get a copy of the ticket.
Crunch

bhohn0

Thanks for the tips Crunch, I have already been thru all of that. I have been to 3 different Ford dealer now, all are giving the same story that nothing can be done because there are no codes and no check engine light. I am not real sure that I believe about the no codes part tho, because each time they have checked for codes, they have reset the computer for the trans. The last time they did that it made it shift like garbage for several miles, very loose slipping sloppy shifts. I did forget to mention the one Ford dealer replaced most of the solenoids and a switch in the valve body. Nothing they have done has changed the rough downshift coming to a stop, except when they did the work on the valve body, it shifted good for about 110 miles, then right back to it's normal self.

I probably made a mistake of blowing up with Ford Customer Service because they were refusing to admit anything was wrong with it. They were going solely on what their field guy/engineer said when he inspected the car. I have to admit I got a nice chuckle out of the lastest computer update because it specifically addressed what the trans is doing, and 2 of the 3 dealers admitted that they have had some customer complaints, but not to the degree of mine. Just amazes me how they claim nothing to be wrong with it, then have a reflash for it. Car has had numerous issues, power steering pump, fuel pump module(fuel gauage not working right), 2 sets of tires and I am working on a third set possibly. They have set the alignment and it still is wearing the front tires. The power steering pump is screwing up again by the way. I am so glad quality was job #1 on this car, hate to think what it would be like otherwise! Makes me love my Hyundai even more!

crunch

wrench
If it is under warranty is is up to them to fix it.
Keep on there case.
Be nice but be firm.
Keep all records of taking it in for repair.
You may come under the lemon law if they do not get it fixed.
Good Luck
Crunch

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
The problem is the n/d accumulator, the computer see a slipping condition and boosts pressures to correct in miliseconds, hence the bump/bang. The diff noise is bad and needs to be addressed, this will NOT set a code. This is a problem with today's techs "everything must code to give them a starting point". They cannot deal with eyes and ears to find a problem or good ol' common sense. As Crunch said, Their problem, be firm and explore the lemon law. This one qualifies and is the reason the law was written. Post results, Transman

bhohn0

Transman, when the Focus was new, it always had what I thought was a lose 2-3 upshift, after they did the work on the valve body, it now has a firm 2-3 upshift. That is the only firm shift tho on this trans. Pretty much always know that shift happens. The 1-2 shift is kinda strange, reminds me of the old 3 speed front drive Chrysler transmissions, where you almost can feel it releasing one gear and applying the next. THe 3-4 upshift is always transparent. It is usually reluctant to downshift(except from 4-3 that comes real easy), but I have a feeling that is the nature of the trans. Other than the rough 2-1 shift, I really can't complain about the trans too much. I can tell you that it doens't shift anywhere as nice as my '07 Hyundai Elantra or my mom's new PT Cruiser. I don't understand how a trans can shift as differently from cold to hot as this one does. The 1-2 upshift with the trans cold is pretty good, but when the trans warms up, it has that wierd shift I described. Oh, and the dealer tried to tell me they could not hear any differential noise or the clunking when coming to a stop when it shifts. I know the tires are very loud(Pirelli P6 4Seasons=JUNK), but you can still hear it. I suspect I am somehow going to have to get someone independant to look at it. I have been looking into Lemon Law stuff, but I am told I do not have a strong case because the way the dealers have documented the work orders. I will continue this journey till it is resolved somehow, I have been dealing with this stuff since the end of September 07.

On a side note, if/when I do get rid of the Focus, how are the transmissions in the new Mustangs?

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
You still have time, if they aren't documenting it properly then make them. Make sure your complaint is written on the repair order and what they did to resolve it. Make sure you get a copy and take it back every week if you have to in order to get paper and some resolution.
On the mustang, agreed with Stu. post back, Transman

bhohn0

Hey guys, thank for the opinion on Mustang trans. Not looking to get into this type of situation again!

I have to go to the selling dealer tomorrow and meet the new service manager. Was suppose to take the Focus in last week to have the alignment checked for a 3rd time, but the service manager got demoted and they were getting a new one. This would be for the tire vibration/shaking. I have a strange feeling it is related to the transmission somehow because the worse it shakes and vibrates the worse the transmission acts up. I have tried inspecting the drive axles and front suspension components both loaded and unloaded, but can't really see anything wrong. There seems to me to be a lot of play in the differential, and the driver's side cv shaft isn't completely tight. I have had cars that were worse tho that didn't do all this stuff, so that is why I don't think that is it. I guess I am gonna be having the Hyundai as my only car for a while, at least it has a 100,000 mile warranty and I haven't had one issue with it yet(bought 8. 07).

Ford_Dude

wrench
FWIW vibration issues are usually tire or drivetrain problems. Haven't seen an alignment cause a vibration.

Ford_Dude

bhohn0

Thanks for the info Ford_Dude, but the alignment situation if for bad tire wear. 4000 miles and the front tires are ruined. I just do not get this car. I have a copy of the last alignment, and all the numbers are similar side to side and look good. Most of my driving is just straight highway driving too. Which of course brings the poor fuel economy it gets also. If I "go with the flow" my mileage will go down to around 25-26mpg, if I drive like an old person, might hit 31. In the 11000 miles I have owned it, it has averaged just under 30mpg. My Hyundai Elantra(automatic also) which I end up using a little more around town than the Focus has averaged just under 34mpg since I purchased it. Should be an interesting visit to the Ford dealer today. The thing that really sucks here is I really love driving the Focus. Much more so than the Elantra. The problems with the way the transmssion shifts are my biggest issue, although if I had to pay for the 5 tires I have had to get so far I would be even more upset.

bhohn0

No real news on the Focus. Ford is blaming Pirelli and Pirelli is blaming Ford for the tire wear problems. Meanwhile I get stuck in the middle with tires that sound like they should be on a 4x4. Since the weather has gotten warmer the symptoms of the trans are more noticable now. Something kinda new that happens now is when the trans is hot, as in driven more than like 10miles, if you shift from D to N, then back to D(while stopped), you get a very very harsh shift. This doesn't happen every time, but if you keep slowly shifting from N to D and back it will do it, and it does rather violently slam when it does do it. Causes a hollow metallic sound in the trans when it does this, also you can hear the solenoids in the trans still making noise for what seem like a second AFTER it is already in gear. R is always a smooth shift. Just turned 12,000 miles today, so the way it is progressing I doubt it will make it to the 60,000 mile mark for the powertrain warranty. Still exploring what can be done about the car legally. I am hoping that this rough shift into D is my ticket for making them do something about the trans. The shaking problem also is worse when it is warmer, so that makes it more annoying to drive than ever. Keep you guys posted what happens next.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
FWIW, Be PERSISTANT! Keep taking the vehicle back, Keep getting repair orders with your complaint as well as their solution each time. Work your way up the food chain to the owner if you have to, ask for district rep and make them not it on the repair order. Force them to supply you with one every time you return the vehicle. SAVE ALL THOSE REPAIR ORDERS. Consult a lawyer and you will win. Transman

bhohn0

Had the Focus back to the selling dealer yesterday, they are going to replace the valve body to see if that fixes it. Suppose to take it in Friday afternoon for that. Keep you posted.

Transman

Website
www.edsofvineland.com
Good Work! Don't forget Keep ALL PAPERWORK and Get paperwork on every visit with your complaint and their resolution in writing clearly. Transman