2007 Ford Focus ZX3 2.0 4F27E trans concerns(long)

bhohn0

I doubt it is going to make any difference in the way that it shifts, I have almost 13000 miles on it now. Been driving it in this screwed up state for all this time now, what are the chances that it hasn't damaged the transmission? It was funny, the tech at the selling dealer was curious why the other Ford Dealer didn't just replace the valve body instead of replacing parts in it. I never really thought about it(except for the $780 price on the valve body maybe). I forgot how bad it shakes at highway speeds when it gets warm outside, was 84 deg here in DE today.

bhohn0

I realize your suppose to give these transmissions some time to relearn how to shift, but so far there is pretty much NO difference with the new valve body :mad: If anything, so far the occassional rough shift into drive may have gotten a little worse. The rough downshift into 1st when coming to a stop didn't change at all. I honestly did think it would make a difference. Keep you posted on any other developments.

bhohn0

Transman,
Got "the" call from my attorney yesterday. I have been dealing with Ford denying anything wrong with this car since 8/07. Coming to a close now. Ford's only offer is to replace the car with another Focus('08 model). I am willing to try that, as I really do like the car, just cannot deal with the problems it has. After the latest attempt at fixing the trans, and it NOT being fixed , I do not want the car at all. This deal is suppose to be completed in the next 90 days. Honestly, I was holding out hope to keep this one, but I guess it was not meant to be. I will be torn of course whether or not to go with a 5 speed or an autotragic again.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
I believe another car, even the same model, would probably not exhibit the same problems. If it did then they would ave a fix for it, I'm sure. Glad you got a deal, Transman

bhohn0

Transman, you may find this of interest. I got the paperwork in the mail yesterday from when the dealer worked on it last. On the work order it states the following, "Customer states when engaging into Drive-rough shift. verified, perform scan test. no faults. remove valve body, take apart & inspect. excessive line pressure. epc solenoid out of spec & sticking 1-2 shift valve. remove pan and replace vavle body assy"

Btw, looks like I will be getting an 08 Focus SE Coupe, 5 speed. Waiting on paperwork.

Transman

Receptionist & Complaint Dept.
Website
www.edsofvineland.com
This is the actual reason for the lemon laws, this is a vehicle that cannot seem to be fixed. Glad you got somewhere but hang onto those papers for a while anyway. Transman

bhohn0

Well, just to FINALLY close the story, Ford offered to replace the Focus. Still do not understand why they wouldn't fix the old one. Anyway, ended up with an 08 Focus SES 4dr with an automatic. So far this automatic seems to be MUCH better than the old one ever was. Thanks again for the comments and pointers transman, much appreciated!

F27E

Hello all.
Just joined the forum to bump this old thread.
My 2003 zx5 zetec just started having the identical symptoms as the OP.
The diffrence is, this car has over 300k.
I have a code p0751. The solenoids check out electrically. The accumulator pistons are both loose in their bores, more so the neutral drive bore.
There is friction material throughout, but no large pieces. The only time the fluid was changed was like ten years ago, I accidentally popped out one of the driveshafts while changing a wheel bearing. About 2 quarts.
I have the superior transmission kit for the 4f27e which has new accumulator pistons and some springs for the valves in the valve body.
Ive got the valve body disassembled on my dining room table, going to try to replace the three springs tomorrow.
Does anyone know if I just use one valve body gasket, or reuse the metal spacer and use two valve body gaskets?
Is the solenoid block to valve body gasket a single piece, or three pieces like the large valve body gasket?
I think a lot of these cars got junked because of easily repairable transmission problems.

grcauto

Hello all.
Just joined the forum to bump this old thread.
My 2003 zx5 zetec just started having the identical symptoms as the OP.
The diffrence is, this car has over 300k.
I have a code p0751. The solenoids check out electrically. The accumulator pistons are both loose in their bores, more so the neutral drive bore.
There is friction material throughout, but no large pieces. The only time the fluid was changed was like ten years ago, I accidentally popped out one of the driveshafts while changing a wheel bearing. About 2 quarts.
I have the superior transmission kit for the 4f27e which has new accumulator pistons and some springs for the valves in the valve body.
Ive got the valve body disassembled on my dining room table, going to try to replace the three springs tomorrow.
Does anyone know if I just use one valve body gasket, or reuse the metal spacer and use two valve body gaskets?
Is the solenoid block to valve body gasket a single piece, or three pieces like the large valve body gasket?
I think a lot of these cars got junked because of easily repairable transmission problems.
You need to start a new thread.

F27E

This 2003 Focus ZX5 Zetec automatic is the best car I have ever owned.
I live in nirtheast Ohio. I flew down to Tampa in 2009 to buy this car. It had 180k miles when I bought it for $2k. It now has over 300k trouble free miles. Just trying to keep it going.

billr

wrench
Staff member
The beginning of this (very old) thread was kind of wordy and rambling; hard for me to make sense of. Humor us and start over in your own words. No. don't create new thread just doing cut-paste from this one! Note that most of the repliers above are no longer active here.

You have the "exact same" symptoms? Maybe you will have to resort to the exact same solution that worked for the OP... replace the car.