Make
Ford
Model
Fusion
Year
Miles
Engine
3.0 L V-6
Already had the passenger air bag replaced on recall campaign. Air bag light was on before replacement and is still on showing code B2290. We cleared it and B2290 promptly returned. We eyeballed the wiring under the seat and everything looks good, no damage to the seat as well. I'm thinking this sensor assembly is not something we could replace and calibrate w/o a Ford scan tool. Before we take it to the dealer anyone have an idea what we're looking at from a "simple" re-calibration of the occupancy sensor to complete replacement. I only like surprises twice a year. Thanks.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This would be a good tool to buy as you will use it in future for this car probably and have dealer level capability to do whatever is needed.

http://www.buyobdii.com/oem-ford-vc...and-key-programming-tool-full-chip-p-464.html

It is a clone, but has good reviews. It will probably pay itself after one or two fixies requiring dealer involvement. All you need is a IDS subscription and a lap top.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Once you have those, follow these instructions to do a reset and zero seat test. If those all pass and then you good to go and don't need to replcae th seat classification sensor assembly. PDF below is printable as usual.

Of note, there is another option which works with win 8 and maybe win 10 and has version 107. It is also cheaper. http://www.buyobdii.com/vxdiag-vcx-...n-p-638.html?zenid=j75f4tiacib9pi5dp3c72gh3d3

Attachments

PC

Thanks for the info, guess I should have researched these scan tools a bit more. I used a OBDLink MX+ with the obdlink app running on an android phone to pull the code. There is also a Ford only app, www.forscan.org, but I doubt it can do these high level diags.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I beleive forscan does NOT have the bi-directional capability you require for the occupant seat issue you are having. But I will try to read more on it, but my past readings of the software, AND also having used it, it is NOT SRS user friendly.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I think the reason I am thinking this is that it does not work with IDS software. Which is ford trademark software. So with that download I provded, and a cheap VCM II clone. You just bought a scanner on the cheap, providing you have a proper laptop. A android phone is in no way going to reflash/reset/configure a module in mux line. You need a j2534 protocal dongle/interface that can provide that, and the only way to do that on the cheap is to buy I cloned IC chip that supports it.

Remember, we are merely talking about an interface. A dongle "so to speak". While software is nice, hardware is key here. If your hard ware can't talk to it, what use is a code reader?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I think the minimal investment justifies the means here. But that is obviously your choice.

But if a dealer intervention is needed for just one srs problem, and that single intervention is about 120$ for example, would you say that the vcm II just paid for itself in that single intervention you just did by yourself with an internet connection from your own home. I feel pride every time I come here trying to tell ppl that they can do this for almost free, and after they got the stuff and the know how, maybe even make profit off it in the long run. I call that savvy tool buying.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't want to knock forscan software and their dongles. They are great and work well with a ELM 327 based chip. In fact, they were the first ones to provide user friendly stuff on the net yrs ago. They have been a great asset to the do it yourselfer community. But now, in 2019, ppl need to be focusing on j2534 stuff more. Which is WHAT you need right now.

However, the elm chips can't take the internal heat for the bi-directional protocol needed.

The admin of this site was kind enough to send me a elm 327 dongle made/or sold by audew. It burnt the first time I connected it to a mux line protocol, and asked it to do a one and only bi directional task. Mind you, I am in a hobby of sorts and tend to modify stuff. ;)

I was not disappointed at the result, I was disappointed at the marketing of the affairs. Also the fact it burnt so fast. So buying clone stuff is buyer beware unless you get and or buy a small insurance. Usually, these sites offer a replacement.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
A android phone is in no way going to reflash/reset/configure a module in mux line. You need a j2534 protocal dongle/interface that can provide that, and the only way to do that on the cheap is to buy I cloned IC chip that supports it.

Yes guy's I am gone on a tangent.

But bear with me, these responses do wake ppl up to what they can do if they just research and buy the right stuff. Huge payday at the other end. Less hassle cuz it can be done without dealer stuff, and even in some cases save a towing bill cuz of lack of dealer stuff like passlock, sync 5g stuff locking you out cuz your key fob bat is low.

Yup, you read that right. A 2$ c-mos battery unlocked the car wit a TPMS scanner to get frequency codes. :p:giveup:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Having a pre hacked thimbdrive is very beneficial to future updates that may occur and render tool useless due to lobbying. But you didn't hear that from me. OK.

PC

Thanks. Excellent info. We just wanted to get the SRS code with the Android setup to see what we're up against. I didn't realize what was needed to do the actual diagnostics, thought it would be a simple sensor R&R. So I gather the ELM327 can access and read data with the proper software, but the J2534 is needed to configure the various modules. It's getting to the point where the dealers will have a monopoly on repairs, there was actually right to repair legislation floating around to protect the small repair shops. They claimed the software proprietary and you, the vehicle "owner" was not allowed access to it. Think about this, what would stop the auto makers from writing code to have the vehicle stop running after x miles and either have to "subscribe" to more miles, or buy new vehicle. I believe a car company from Sweden is actually trying a vehicle subscription service. Now I'm scaring myself. If I can only find my '71 LeMans.