2007 Lincoln town car overheating

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: town car
MODEL: Lincoln
YEAR: 2007
MILES: 83,000
ENGINE: 4.6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....

Brought car in to Lincoln dealer for recall on steering gear.

Fixed that, mostly, anyway, steering still binds, but that's the least of my problems.

When the dealer valet bought me the car, I got in and the gauge was pegged all the way up,in the red, temp light was on as was the check engine light. Car was pinging as well. Coolant tank was bubbling and whistling.

They took it back in, told me your cooling fan wasn't working, when we had it idling, to be washed (complimentary which I didn't ask for) it must have overheated. Was told they have the porters jockey the cars around and they aren't mechanics. (But its apparently ok for them to be ignorant if there are warning lights on)

To make a long story short, they said thats not our problem if something breaks while the cars under on care. Have it fixed here, for $700...yeah right.

Waited for it to cool down, and drove it home, almost , until it overheated again. It went into failsafe mode, for about a block, (no power, sluggish) shut it down waited 30 min and drove it home no problem.

Oil is clean, no smoke from the tailpipe.

Reset codes which were: p1299 ( engine over temp condition pending and confirmed)
And p1285 (cylinder head over temperature sensed)

Am presently waiting for a cooling fan with module to come in the mail.

I'm limited as to what I can do diagnosis wise and funds are tight.

Car does run and motor sounds good.

My question is could they have damaged or otherwise compromised the head gaskets or other parts of the engine due to their negligence?

Should I replace any other parts for good measure?

Not sure if I have recourse with the dealer, as I never had an overheating problem before.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

LynnM

Not much else you can do. It may have damaged the pistons / piston rings - loss of compression..dimensions change when overheated.. That would require disassembly. Personally I would sue them for a new engine or at least a 15K mile warrenty

The car is with you, THINK POSITIVE - lets deal with the immediate issue (fan inop)

Lets hold off attorneys, courts overhauls for a day or so -

billr

wrench
Staff member
Agreed, the only ones who will win in court action are the lawyers. However, I would be tempted to start "elevating" the complaint. I assume you have already talked to the service manager, so I expect the next step is going to the regional Ford rep. You might even start seeing if some local TV station is interested in hearing about this complaint. I have found that BBBs are useless, so wouldn't bother there.

Thanks for all the replies...
I do plan on calling the Customer help line, once I get the fan installed and drive the car around a bit...just annoyed that the service writer and service manager could be so blatantly arrogant with me....they even told me the original problem (steering gear) doesn't have to be lubed up or anything and the cause of the slight binding when turning the wheel "might be in the column...leave it and we'll pull it apart" .
No thanks I said.

You should talk with FORD/Lincoln - 1-866-436-7332
The service manager comment - may be in the steering column ? Look at attachment seams to ME the recall was for the steering column inspection...

Attachments