2007 Toyota Tacoma 50K miles dead battery after sitting a week.

klutchdust

Make
Toyota
Model
Tacoma
Year
Miles
Engine
Std.
...And AAA came out and replaced the battery. Since then ,on occasion the battery will discharge after a week.(Wife has a employee that forgets to close door all the way after using the truck every saturday) We found the door ajar and the overhead light on. So we disabled the overhead light and with the door ajar the battery still discharged. My question is this. What would discharge the battery if the light does not come on when the door is open.Would a cell phone charger left in the service port drain the battery. (I had one melt and turn red before my eyes in my motorhome, luckily I was there) Suggestions.

billr

wrench
Staff member
How did you disable the OH light? Did you just remove the bulb, or did you do some wiring mod? Regardless, killing the OH light alone may still leave other systems active that are triggered by the door switch. Yes, leaving anything non-OEM plugged in to that 12V jack may cause a problem; fire or otherwise. Don't do it.

I gotta say it, you need to fix the "root problem"... replace the failed employee.

klutchdust

There are different positions on the light switch so we turned it to the always off position.
My wife has one employee, replacing her would mean I go back to beekeeping, I would prefer to stay on the race cars.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Use an ammeter, one that reads well under 1A, to see if there is much difference in the parasitic battery draw when the door is fully closed or ajar.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
In my opinion, as also stated by Bill, the fact that the door is often left open by root cause of problem, system is always alive and cannot go to sleep if the door is ajar.

Best bet is to put a multimeter to it and do a current draw test.

On a 2007 like this anything over 50milli amps is suspect. That is just a number, your may be even less depending on tech on board, but back then, not much so amps should be 20 to 30ish milliamps. Modern cars can hold 50ish, cus of all the modules needed to keep alive memory and such.

When I do a draw test, I close all doors, keep keys in pocket, if after ten minutes or so, draw is still there, I start pulling fuses.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Maybe require a report after Saturday use. "I'm done with the truck." ..."Ya got the door closed?"

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Example, the other day, tuesday I think, had a acura tl type S 2009. Same symptom, battery going flat after a few days.

Suspected a draw as battery tested fine and charging system was ok, so I went ahead, put my multimeter in series with neg bat post. Was pulling 250ish milliamps. More than enough to kill a good battery in just a few days.

Once I pulled the interior lighting fuse, drop went away, fell down to a proper 24milliamps.

So pulled wiring for interior light fuse, then started pulling every module that this fuse fed.

Ended up being the hands free module in roof console. It was 920$, client opted to just leave it disconnected, he never uses the hands free option on the steering wheel anyway.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
@Dan, or withhold pay check till employee learns how to shut a door properly. That would be a good incentive, although illegal, just the mention of it may help this root person to put some effort in closing a darn car door.

My gf is same, I am constantly closing doors behind her. Even after ten yrs, lids on mayonnaise etc, milk cartons, laundry room, my front door, my back door to my place, toothpaste, you name it, never closed properly. It was and still is infuriating.

That Is why I asked her to leave my apartment a few yrs back, it was those little details that got to me. Now she can do what she wants at HER place. She still does it when she comes over, but that is way less often than living with her at my place. I dont know what drives ppl to do that, my guess, some form of pure laziness or just plain dont care. I have asked her numerous times, she just shrugs and says she has always been like that. I say really, cant you change that I ask. She says no. I say good luck when I get sick of it for good. Next guy may not be so understanding.

Ok, end of rant for my gf, just sayin, some ppl are just like that. It is like they lack the mental effort to recognize you had to open the damn thing, so you should also close the damn thing once your done with it.

Imagine if every-time I took a bolt off but never quite torqued them down, I would have been out of a job 28yrs ago.

klutchdust

I agree with all of the above. Wife had a talk with her before she headed out this morning. We keep the truck in the garage I’m in there all the time I’ll keep my eye on it.
Other than this she is a gem of an employee, honest on time , like a daughter to us. I can deal with it.
thanks for the responses.....

billr

wrench
Staff member
Some pearls of wisdom from good old Bill:

klutchdust: "How can you trust her to take proper care of the bees if you can't trust her to close a door? Do you not care at all about the bees or be-keeping equipment (aside from this truck, of course)?"

nickb2, regarding the GF: "Is the screwing you get worth the screwing you have to take?"

klutchdust

Oh my . Well she works side by side with another beekeeper at times, does instructional tours for children runs the booth at the farmers market.....does speaking engagements representing the business and so far all we have noticed is she doesn’t close the truck door all the way.
I can live with that .