2008 acura tsx no start

mjs

The 4 cyl engine auto.... My daughter's car wont start after she almost ran the fuel dry. I tried to start it several times and she would kick like it was going to start. don't see any obvious issues but now it turns over slowly like the battery dead even though its new. any possible causes???????

billr

wrench
Staff member
Get the battery charged back up and test the fuel pressure, let's start there.

mjs

charge battery ,replaced plugs ,fuel good
also hooked up to scanner codes that are showing are p0123 and p0223 will this cause the car not to start??

billr

wrench
Staff member
Yes, I think it is likely that a problem in sensing accel pedal position will cause starting problems. What does "fuel good" mean, did you take pressure readings, what are they? You could try a quick spray of carb-cleaner or starting-fluid into the intake, if it fires briefly like that we will know there are no ignition or CKP/CMP sensor problems.

mjs

i could not test the pressure.we cannot find a schrader valve to test pressure.we did try starting fluid that did not help. And last night the scanner came up with another code that is not showing that involves throttle acctuater not recognized and or fault. we also pulled the fuel line at the fuel rail and it seems to be good pressure

billr

wrench
Staff member
Okay, let's back up a bit... Are you getting spark at any of the plugs? If you pull the plugs after cranking (and no start) are they wet with fuel? Take compression while you have the plugs out to inspect them. Obviously, if any are badly fouled, let us know

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You obviously have a throttle sensor code, drive by wire and will cause a no start. It is a safety issue. You need to diagnose the circuit. I will post some scematics for this later, not at my house right now.

From memory, the pedal has issues and costs a fortune. I think nippon denso made this part, but not sure, so I wont stake my life on that one.

billr

wrench
Staff member
It's also likely that a failure in the DBW system would kill both spark and fuel, so that would explain why trying starting-fluid did no good. Yeah, focus on trouble-shooting the DBW.

mjs

I tested what I could up to the point when the test procedure told me to jump the SCS with the HDS. I only have access to the bluepoint scan tool. So is there a way to do this or does it need to go to a dealer.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I will study more on this problem of yours and post back in a few minutes. There is always a way to test a circuit. Just need to know how to pin test the right ones.

To test pressure in this type of system, you need a bypass system as it has no pressure port. Spec should be 48-55psi.

When I post flow charts, mine are usually called ACE. In pdf form so you can download and print out at your convenience, ACE 0 in this post is how to fuel pressure release without HDS, it is later in the ACE 0 attachment.

In this chart, you will find maybe a shortcut.

When you say you have access to a bluepoint scanner, can you plz post which model. Some blue point scanners where not as high end as we thought, even though they shared the snap-on brand name. ;)

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Here's more screen shots and ACE attachments. :D

Tip of the day, you can make your own schreader valve with a bicycle valve stem from a 700c bike tire stem.

See picture, with a bit of imagination, this will work with a ford adapter available in all fuel pressure testing kits. So in essence you want to end up with something like the second picture I posted. A few injection clamps and you have a bypass fuel tester port, homemade that will last long if made right, for real cheap. I have my own, but having worked with high end kits, this one is relegated to my home brew stuff :p

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Graphing capability and a bit more, good for live data and code reading erasing, not much more. This is NOT a true bi-directional scanner so you will not be able to emulate a HDS. ;)

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Do not be scared to download my PDF's, I have been here for years and no one has reported any issues beyond the fact they cannot read schematics. 8)