2008 Altima Tire Pressure Monitoring System

John Luttrell

Hi guys, It's been a long time since I visited here, but I stay pretty busy in the oil fields now a days. Anyway, I bought the wife a new altima a few months ago, and the low tire pressure light came on. I checked the tire pressures and found none more than 2 PSI out from the others; but serviced them all to spec's anyway. Acording to the owners manual after correcting the pressures, driving the car will reset the light. You guessed it, the light is still on, and I'm hoping I'm not going to need to take it in to reset the TPMS. Also, is there a new tool I need to purchase to reset the system myself? I am a retired auto/aircraft mech, but been out of the busness for a couple of years. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

John Luttrell

kdauto

wrench
You will likely need a TPMS tool to scan the sensors. A Nissan scantool would likely tell you also. A TPMS(Tire Pressure Monitor Tool) tool will give info like transmitter operation ok/not, battery life, sensor/wheel temperature, etc. Some just need to be reset a certain way, like lowering the pressure by 5 or more psi and then initialize the sensor, then reset pressure. It's all very specific. A good TPMS tool like the Bartec 300 or 300 plus(what I have) costs roughly 500$+. Did you check the spare tire? Nissan likes to put sensors in those too.

John Luttrell

LOL, I sure didn't think to check the spare tire. As far as that goes though; the advertised PSI on the spare is 60 PSI. I'm guessing the ECM has 60 PSI stored in it's memory for the normal PSI for the spare? Either way, I'll check the spare out tomorrow. I'd sure hate to spend 400+ bucks on a new tool, when I'm only maintaining my rigs now. It's funny how 24 years ago I was cussing these systems when they started showing up on aircraft, now it's like dejavu on our damned cars.

2POINTautO

Ya, but back then, you werent paying for the test equipment, or were you, I know I was, retired C130E/H Crew Chief.

John Luttrell

A big salute to ya then buddy; I crewed on NC-130H's for 514th Flight Test squadron at Hill AFB for four years. Had some of my best years in the military hopping around on C-130's.

2POINTautO

Thank you Sir, just caught a hop back from the Philippines a few weeks ago on a Navy C130, I was cursing the Navy crew for not turning on the heat in the back, the Air Force would never freeze people like that for 6 hours. Philippines 7 years, Little Rock 5 years and Japan 8 years and still here since '95. I gave up a lot to retire, oh well.

Hope this Altima gets fixed, I only have info on Toyota TPMS.

wire

did you look in the ownner's manual for a reset???

John Luttrell

Owners manual said to service the tires to spec's then drive it over 20 MPH to reset the light. So far the light is still on. Didn't get a chance to look at it this evening; the wife had an engagement to attend and didn't want to drive my truck or old jeep.

Jim Fairbanks

wrench
Alldata says to drive it and it will reset unless there is another problem....Jim......Notes

Tire Pressure Monitor Reset Procedure
The TPMS will activate only when the vehicle is driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h). Also, this system may not detect a sudden drop in tire pressure (for example a flat tire while driving).

The low tire pressure warning light does not automatically turn off when the tire pressure is adjusted. After the tire is inflated to the recommended pressure, the vehicle must be driven at speeds above 16 MPH (25 km/h) for several minutes to activate the TPMS and turn off the low tire pressure warning light. Use a tire pressure gauge to check the tire pressure.

*Note:
TPMS malfunctions may occur for a variety of reasons, including the installation of replacement or alternate tires or wheels on the vehicle that prevent the TPMS from functioning properly.

CAUTION: Do not inject any tire liquid or aerosol tire sealant into the tires, as this may cause a malfunction of the tire pressure sensors.
When a spare tire is mounted or a wheel is replaced, tire pressure will not be indicated, the TPMS will not function and the low tire pressure warning light will flash. Contact your NISSAN dealer as soon as possible for tire replacement and/or system resetting.

John Luttrell

Thanks Jim, that's pretty much what the owners manual say as well. I'll just take it by the dealer since it's under warrenty; I see a TPMS tool purchase coming in the future.

1011atomic

I'll only throw this out because your Altima is a Nissan. Many Nissan vehicles require a scan tool along with a TPMS reset tool. Few shops own a Nissan Consult-II. Some aftermarket scan tools do not provide access to the Nissan BCM which controls the TMPS. So even if you pay the $$'s for a reset tool you still may not be able to communicate with the BCM.

John Luttrell

The wife informed me today when I got home that the light finally went out when she drove it. Of course she had no idea how far she'd gone before it went out. At least we know it will reset after servicing the tires. Thanks for all the input on this guys.

Ford_Dude

wrench
I will try and look up some info for you tomorrow at work. I work at a chain store that sells tires and hand tools.

Ford_Dude

2POINTautO

1011atomic said:
I'll only throw this out because your Altima is a Nissan. Many Nissan vehicles require a scan tool along with a TPMS reset tool. Few shops own a Nissan Consult-II. Some aftermarket scan tools do not provide access to the Nissan BCM which controls the TMPS. So even if you pay the $$'s for a reset tool you still may not be able to communicate with the BCM.
I have only heard this as a rumor, that the Consult is not the OEM choice tool for late model vehicles, in Japan, OBD II did not start till about 2000, even Toyota started using a new scanner called the 2000 for JDM vehicles. I have used the Launch scanner and it is divided into two sections for both Nissan and Toyota. FYI, FWIW???

wire

in some cases....a round magnet the diameter of the valve stem is all that's required to reset the system.