Khardock

Make
Pontiac
Model
Montana
Year
Miles
Engine
We had to remove fuse box to replace high pressure power steering hose, and with all reconnected we have a no crank no start. The cluster on dash comes on, but no headlights, no brake lights and obviously not starting. If anyone has any ideas. Battery is brand new also

grcauto

I'd double check my work.

NickD

wrench
no headlights, no brake lights kind of hints on no battery voltage. Brake lamps pull about 6.6 amperes, dash lights, little if anything.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This will come out sounding condescending either way so here goes.

Removing that "fuse box" was not necessary at all and is source of problem. But now that you have removed that "fuse box" you must understand, that is NOT a simple fuse box. It is the PDC. The brains of the whole thing if you will. The VCM (vehicle control module) is in there, terms differ in companies, but BCM and VCM vary, but not much. SO, by removing that un necessarily, you created a problem.

So, going back to what GRCauto wrote, go back. Rewind.

Those big arse lock down tabs behind that PDC are sure hard sometimes to push and drive home. R U sure each and every one of those huge grey, green, beige/brown, black and etc square things are seated right?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hint, if you forced any of these big arse connectors thereunder, you may want to invest in some f u grease. Not the sex kind, but some thing that resembles KY jelly when u just fed yourself. Di=electric grease. It may help if some of those connection/pins got wide. Will help pin point futur, and we all know there will be with this one.

Who, in thier right mind would remove the PDC to remove the PS pump/hose?

As I wrote before, not condescending, just hoping you see this was a oversight, and now, you know. But now, you and I / us will help you, if you want.

;):bat:

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
This will come out sounding condescending either way so here goes.

Removing that "fuse box" was not necessary at all and is source of problem. But now that you have removed that "fuse box" you must understand, that is NOT a simple fuse box. It is the PDC. The brains of the whole thing if you will. The VCM (vehicle control module) is in there, terms differ in companies, but BCM and VCM vary, but not much. SO, by removing that un necessarily, you created a problem.

So, going back to what GRCauto wrote, go back. Rewind.

Those big arse lock down tabs behind that PDC are sure hard sometimes to push and drive home. R U sure each and every one of those huge grey, green, beige/brown, black and etc square things are seated right?

NickD

wrench
Reminds of that 2010 Cruze I purchased, wanted to add fog lamps so I could see driving around sharp corners and had to remove that underhood fuse box, the layers of PCB's were never installed from the factory properly. Do have wires interfacing those boards.

We always used 16 AWG plated stranded wire regardless of the current flow because it was more robust, today you find 32 AWG single strand unplated wire because its cheaper.

Practically all vehicles moved the PCM to that harsh environment under the hood. because that saves wire. Be careful to sneeze while working under the hood.

Also find very noise sensitive wiring 5 volt logic wire under the hood near huge current or voltage wires, like the alternator output, headlamps, or 40,000 volt ignition. If you don't return those wires back to their precise location will suffer from EMI, electromagnetic interference that will drive your computers nuts.

grcauto

You guys wonder why this site is so low volume. Look at this thread. If I were the poster I wouldn't waste my time here.