2008 Saturn Vue P0796

infj23

2008 Saturn Vue
3.5 V6 engine (VIN N)
77,000 miles

Bought this car used within the past year and have put 24,000 miles on it. No troubles at all until today. Driving steady 60mph and lost power. Engine running/sounding fine, but no power.
Codes showing are P0700 and P0796. After getting the car home by flatbed, I could drive it forward and back in the driveway (did not take it on the road). Tranny fluid in the middle of the proper range on the dipstick.
Any ideas of what this could be, where to look, and what to test?
Thanks so much for any help.
Doc

bp042665

hunting nut
ok the code P0796 is for a stuck off pressure control solenoid #3 whitch controls L/R 4,5,6 Clutches so before you go any further i would have a profesional check it so you are not just throwing parts at it cuz it could be a wire or solenoid problem or even a glitch is 1 of the speed sensor

infj23

Thanks for the reply. Does a "stuck off pressure control solenoid #3" cause the problem I had (sudden loss of power with the engine running well)? In other words, does the code make sense for what I experienced?
I also understand the dangers of just throwing parts at a problem, but do you have a part number for that #3 control solenoid? That will help me get educated on this stuff.

Thanks!
Doc

jasonn20

The loss of power is on par with the transmission being put into fail safe due to the trans code.

Check fluid level/condition/smell, check battery/connections/charging system, check neutal safety operation with scanner, activate the solenoids with scanner to test operation, and check freeze frame data.

In general a transmission solenoid code is more often set due to a hydralic leak or valvebody problem. I have however tested several fautly solenoids on saturn vehicles.

stu

Website
www.81x.com
infj23 said:
Thanks again. Any idea on the part number for the #3 solenoid?

The code shows which circuit is at fault, not the particular component. Don't just open the hood and toss stuff in.

It's good that we have some trans experts checking in here once-in-a-while. PWM on the TCC, huh? That sure does open up the possibility that it is a problem with engine operation, not the trans at all. See if you can note the MAP as the slippage occurs. I'm still hung-up on 800 rpm of engine rpm "flare" being a lot to be merely from the TCC. WOT stall on the (unlocked) TC is probably in the 2500-3000 range, right Jasonn20?