Make
Kubota
Model
B3200 HST
Year
Miles
Engine
4 cyl diesel
Had a no crank situation 2 days ago after using tractor for maybe 30 mins or so. Tried to attach charger/ starter to battery + first without plugging into the power. A nasty park shot out from the clamp of charger when I tried connecting to positive side of battery. Nothing else even connected or plugged in yet. What in the world would cause a spark like that? It sparked like jumping a screw driver between the positive and negative terminals. Could there be something going on with the charger? Never did use it after that. Since then, I cleaned the battery posts and now it starts like nothing ever happened. What do you think?

billr

wrench
Staff member
There are too many possibilities to consider; it would take a lot of questions and testing to even come up with a probable scenario. I suspect the charger is OK. I would use the "wait and watch" approach. Cleaning the battery terminals may have completely fixed it.

TerryJ

There are too many possibilities to consider; it would take a lot of questions and testing to even come up with a probable scenario. I suspect the charger is OK. I would use the "wait and watch" approach. Cleaning the battery terminals may have completely fixed it.
Thanks for replying back Bill. So far it still starts okay, I started it again this morning. I think the no crank issue might have been related to the corroded terminals and the battery is six y o also. There may be a problem with the charger because I tried it on my truck and it did the same thing again, not even plugged in and it sparked like crazy when I tried putting the positive clamp on the positive post. The charger will have to Rest In Peace. Thanks for your help.

TerryJ

From what you describe, it seems there would have to be an internal direct short inside the charger.
I think you're right. I tried the charger on my truck this morning and it did the exact same thing again. Tractor still starts, so I believe the corrosion of the cable ends was the problem of the no start and the battery is 6 yrs old. I won't be using the charger again since it's 30 y o. Thanks for your help.