Make
Mercury
Model
Grand marquis
Year
Miles
Engine
Hello everybody,

Just bought (at the inop sale at an auction) A 2009 Mercury grand Marquis LS.
It has no keys, (which I knew prior to bidding)...not wanting to pull out the ignition, what are my options?
Would pulling out the door or trunk lock cylinders and bringing to a locksmith be a viable option?

Thank you

billr

wrench
Staff member
I think most locksmiths can make a key from just the VIN, you need to show proof of ownership. Same for a dealer. Of course, it will be a key for how the car was originally manufactured; won't work if the lock has been re-keyed some time in the past.

Mobile Dan

wrench
Ign lock cyls have 6-8 tumblers. Door and trunk cyls usually only have 3-5 tumblers. Cheaper to build a car that way.

Thank you both, will go the locksmith route, but I was under the impression that the grand Marquis only has 1 key for doors, trunk and ignition???

jigfeett

The mobile guys will come out and make the new key program it and remove all the lost keys,
Call around and only use a shop that will tell you the price up front if they will not keep looking
There are guys that tell you (OH about $150 then when they get there it skyrockets to $320) most people fall for it because the guy is there.
If they can't give you a price they are scammers, All lock smiths know what a blank cost and what it takes to cut and program.
It is a hassle but.

POP A LOCK worked for me, I know name is funny but they gave me the price and that was it when they got done and even gave me a free key that is to only open the doors, in case I get locked out.