2009 Nissan Frontier Starter Won't Crank

jd

Yeah, I know, jd and another starter. First that KIA, now...
2009 Frontier 2.5L 4-cyl, 5-spd manual, 15,000 miles, has Rostra aftermarket cruise control.
Cruise installed on a sublet job before we took delivery of the truck new...
On this vehicle, Clutch Pedal has to be depressed or turning the key to Start won't operate the Starter.
It didn't crank once and I worked the Clutch a few times. It cranked, ran normally.
Got to destination by towing it behind our motorhome. On arrival, wouldn't crank. Battery is good, terminals just cleaned, headlights are bright, accessories work etc. Just no cranking.
Notice there's a BEEP right when the key turns to Run. Leaving it in Run, three more Beeps, total of Four Beeps. I'm concerned that some electronic system is unhappy for some reason and won't let me use the Starter.
Pulled it ahead with the motorhome, key in Run engaged Clutch in Second, and it started. Drove it home and swapped for wife's Corolla. Tried at home and still no start, but everything worked normally on the trip home.
So there it sits. I wasn't about to tinker on our RV outing.
I'd think the process should be:
1. Examine Wiring Diagram (could somebody please post one...!)
2. Find the Clutch Safety Switch (bypass for testing)
3. Figure out what's beeping and how to stop it...
THANKS!!!

kev2

wrench
getting you the starter diagram - first I only see a 2.4L - let me know and I will go to NISSAN sight if I got wrong diagram - also note the with anti theft or without...
should be enough to get you probing.
' clutch interlock switch" top of clutch arm -
starter relay - underhood box

PS is ther any codes- OR theft light on?

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
See, another aftermart part, in this case, cruise. My pitiful advice is to see were they tapped in for power and ground. Or just rip it out. Cuz if draw is ok, and anti theft is reset as in the other thread that is similar to this one on the mountaineer,

Scrap that walmart crap and put back to oem. Will look a kev2 diagram that he nicely gave and post back. 8)

Now had to modify, look at schematic that kev2 gave, there is a starter cutout module, also a anti theft relay. If all pin testing and ground's check out, and you have jumped starter in a vise directly and it goes, would look there. Also, wiggle check all fuse link's and fuses.

Seeing more and more of these anti theft related issues lately, and mostly after installing aftermarket stuff.

jd

This 2009 XE (bottom of the line in that year) doesn't have a Smart Key, a Remote Fob or a Security System. Engine is QR25DE 2488cc. I also does not have "Clutch Start" where a Switch (that this truck doesn't have) overrides the Clutch Safety Switch (that requires Clutch disengaged to start the engine). I have the Owner's Manual package but not the vehicle. Under "Audible Alarms" there's one for leaving the Key in or the Lights on, not even a seatbelt chime. So the Four Beeps are still a mystery.
Anyhow, 2.5 engine (4-cyl 16-valve with MPI and variable timing) is correct.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I am still assuming it has a starter cut out module and anti theft relay. 2 12mm or 14mm bolt should do the trick to remove that starter and bench test in a vise. :idea:

I will not bug out on this, but high end frontier or low end, I am most certain that they all have same anti-theft circuits. Engineers don.t waste space or wiring. Cheers.

kev2

wrench
How is the trouble shoot going -
that QR25DE may help pin the system down if you need more -

I would work the diagram I gave you - start at interlock - is there 12v KOEO? then relay....
Yes I saw all that clutch bypass switch BS- thank god you do not have that POS.

The old man

Have you tried another starter relay or jumped across the starter connections to see if it is the starter itself? Sounds like a bad clutch interlock switch, a bad starter, or poor connections to me. Just my $.02 worth.

Sorry kev2 to jump in. I did not know you were posting as I was typing. Kev2 does have the right schematic so I would advise following his suggestions.

jd

I don't have the truck with me, so it'll be awhile before I can get hands onto it. Having a diagram will be a huge help. I can find the relay and fuse listed, and start hunting for the clutch switch.

I remain concerned about the Four Beeps. It has a nagtone for key left in when the door is open and another for lights left on when the door is open. To me, a vehicle SHOULD nag when the Key is in RUN but the engine is Not Running (either because it stalled or wasn't ever cranked), but if it did, I doubt it would be only four short beeps a second or so apart then silence.

oldman, I haven't been able to do any tinkering. Might be able to take a quick look at it within a week but it'll be over two weeks before I can spend much time on it.

Very Interesting! The Haynes manual I was able to get for this truck is #72032 for Frontier and XTerra 2005-2008. It furnishes two diagrams, With and Without Clutch Interlock. My Frontier XE is Without, but the Diagram kev2 sent is entirely different from the Haynes "Without" diagram. Wife asked me, "Who to Believe?" My answer was BAT!!! A couple examples of the differences: 1. Clutch Interrupt Switch appears to provide Ground to the Start Relay but the Haynes diagram says it provides Power. 2. Haynes shows an "Intelligent Power Distribution Module" and BAT does not. I hope BAT is right particularly since Haynes block for the Module includes a smaller block called "CPU." I do not need THAT at this point.

Please remember I can only work this problem in my head right now and don't lose patience with me before I get home and can actually get to it. Hoping the Clutch Switch is only loose on its mount and that's it...

kev2

wrench
JD as I said there were several diagrams- that clutch switch BS, an alarm (security) relay in system, ...
And your consern about beeping-

My thoughts - the diagrams ALL show that the clutch pedal switch gets 12v start or run- from the ign switch - I think to start at clutch pedal switch AS no power there MAY explain why it beeps sometimes.

The power at that switch will lead us to next likely suspect AND that will help ID which system...

PS that QR25DE number will help also

jd

That Clutch thing sure is BS. What I was taught to do is snatch the hand brake up tight to keep it from rolling then use Clutch and Gas as per normal and release PB by hand. The import makes were smart, making it a hand parking brake. At one point the Americans had FOUR pedals across the floor with stick shift, and the parking brake release button was on the pedal. Did somebody tell their engineers we had Three Feet?

The old man

I just want to post the schematic that I have. It works the same as the one that kev2 has on his latest schematic, with a little more clarity, but also come with an explanation as how the system works. Not trying to confuse the issue, just a little explanation as to how it works. Between the 2 schematics you should get a really good overwiew of the starting system

Attachments

jd

This is very upsetting. Maybe I should say it's "alarming" since presence of BCM could mean there's a warning buzzer that I'm hearing. Doesn't look like a simple Switch and Relay System which has worked for decades (1971 Dodge Van...). Nope, they want to use a computer in place of a switch. Maybe I should say it's "alarming" since presence of BCM could mean there's a warning buzzer that I'm hearing.