2009 Saturn outlook/traverse/Acadia stabilitrak abs lights AWD off?

teehee

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Saturn
MODEL: Outlook
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 146000
ENGINE: 3.6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I just purchased this vehicle...all I know of its history is that it had a timing chain failure that damaged engine requiring extensive repair. I purchased it on EBay (I know ) Price was right for what seemed to be a fairly clean SUV. Upon picking it up the service stabilitrak msg was flashing, the ABS light is on, the traction control light is on and another msg says "AWD IS OFF". I've been driving this home from New York to Florida and other than a vibration in the steering wheel at around 50 that smooths out at higher speeds, and the annoying lights..it's done pretty well. The other red flag is it's says I'm averaging 19.7 MPG, which is much lower than I expected on hwy and the voltage gauge has been reading as high as 14.5 volts. Anyone have a suggestion on where to start? Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!!

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Pull chassis codes. The trac and ABS lights on and flashing means there is a code or two in the EBCM. In alot of the cases, GM have had alot of wheel sensor issues.

AWD is off light, there is a switch normally for that. Make sure that is working

Fully charged automotive batteries should measure at 12.6 volts or above. When the engine is running, this measurement should be 13.7 to 14.7 volts. So, yours at 14.5 could be perfectly normal.

teehee

Well, I think are way to many possible causes for all my trouble lights, so since I don't have a high tech scanner ......she's going to the shop for diagnostics! My choices are an independent shop that has a great reputation and says for $89 they will guarantee to find the problem or the Chevy dealer for $110, offers no guarantee? What's the best option here? It may be a no brainer to some but sinc I try and do all my own repair (with the help of BATauto of course), I have little experience with either? Can an independent shop provide the same information as the dealer?

kev2

wrench
Anyway the first step will be getting the codes, 89$ or 110$ - then the decisions -
$.02 lets give the independent a try - there is no longer Saturn dealers. If they can get past the scan we have a insight of the issue - we will add to that list (codes) what info and experience we have...

PS - be warned I am an total optimist - can do attitude, its always the simple things, this wont hurt.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Get an ELM327-type device to read codes on a laptop/phone. It will cost far less than that $90+ and you can re-read codes later for no additional cost, as you go along and start getting things sorted out.

teehee

Bill! That sounds like some good advice right there!!! I'll do some research. Thx

billr

wrench
Staff member
If you run into problems finding or using the ELM, look for posts here from "nickb2", he is quite knowledgeable; or send him PM if he doesn't chime in.

teehee

Ya nick has definitely helped me in the past! These little gadgets seem very interesting... I guess there's some confusion regarding their ability to read abs or body codes

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
An independent shop should have a scanner capable of interrogating the ABS system.

With a good electrical diagram, a multi-meter paired with the codes, this should be an easy fix.

The elm 327 can read any data, but it is all about the software. Of course, to get bi directional and B and C codes, you will have to get software for that, as the cd that comes with the device is not very useful here.

Something like this will work with any elm based interface.

Check this link out.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/products/scanxlstd/index.php

teehee

With time being of the essence....I decided to go ahead and take the outlook to a reputable independent shop. A quick scan revealed no engine codes but a multitude of (I guess) body codes. He said he could everything to clear except the ABS. He told me to drive it and see what happens.,.. once I started it up I noticed no DIC messages or warning lights. The first time I hit the brakes, I could feel the brakes pulsating like in ABS mode. After that the messages and lights all returned!!! I don't feel like I made any progress today except to rule out ECM issues. Should I go to a GM service department now?

teehee

Can I just install an abs module or does it require something special...programming, etc.?

billr

wrench
Staff member
Try posting at <saturnfans.com>, be sure to post on the Outlook forum.

Buying a car with sick ABS, traction control, and AWD is kind of a gamble. All of those can get to be expensive to repair. This has VVT, but is it also the variant with direct-injection? More complications to consider. I'm guessing this "gamble" cost about $3500; maybe you should dump it and cut your losses.

As to the mpg, 20 (highway) sounds about right, that car runs close to 5000# and is streamlined like a brick. Add in the extra drag from the AWD... However, you can get opinions from actual Outlook owners on that Saturn site.

*** see next post***

Last edited: