2009 Saturn outlook/traverse/Acadia stabilitrak abs lights AWD off?

billr

wrench
Staff member
It later dawned on me that wheel-speed sensing is a crucial input that is probably common to all three of those (ABS, traction, AWD). I would focus there, using live-data if at all possible. Repair of a bad wheel-sensor/wiring could be a quite easy fix!

teehee

I've been at the Chevy dealer since 7:30AM this morning....it's now 12:30PM, this is for diagnostics....they have it up on a lift now, presumably checking the wheel sensors/wiring. Will report back later

teehee

Here Is what they found... DTC CC0045, left rear hub and speed sensor. So I guess that's my next project, is the speed sensor different than the ABS sensor?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Shyte, finally a code. We have wanted this all along.

Yes, a wheel speed sensor is the same jargon as a ABS sensor.

A CODE c0045 means either a short to ground or an open CIRCUIT.

I hate being the guy that said 'I told you so.' But see post #2 of this thread,

First thing to do is LOOK. Take a gander at the reluctance teeth of the wheel bearing. Make sure no teeth are missing and that they are not filled up with metal shavings and/or grime. Next, look at the wiring harness itself. At the flex points of the independent axle where the wire harness routes along. Look for a split wire.

A very easy check to do, disconnect the wheel speed sensor and take a voltage reading at sensor to ground. Anything under 7.6v is suspect.

My bet is on a faulty sensor, but always better to check for signal and return. Your two sensor wires are as follows, tan for sensor signal, and orange for low reference. To properly rule out rest of wiring, take a resistance reading from the EBCM to the sensor. This will require long leads. At the EBCM module, you can locate the TN and OR at connector, circuit 885 and 884. See snap shots below. Screenshot (68).png Screenshot (69).png Screenshot (67).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
With both connectors disconnected, you should have no continuity to ground, and should have zero ohms when each wire/pin is tested from EBCM to wheel speed sensor on each respective wire/pin. If that is the case, then you can safely replace the sensor and attached harness for cheap without worrying about a module failure. It is VERY rare for a EBCM module to fail on a sensor monitor circuit. The faCT THAT IT IS ACTUALLY TELLING YOU IT HAS A CIRCUIT FAILURE ON THAT WHEEL TELLS FOR THAN FOR SURE THE ebcm IS NOT AT FAULT HERE. Opps, hit caps lock, but to lazy to correct, my message is clear.

Here is how to change the sensor and attached harness. Screenshot (70).png Screenshot (71).png

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE: Saturn
MODEL: Outlook
YEAR: 2009
MILES: 146000
ENGINE: 3.6
DESCRIBE ISSUE....I just purchased this vehicle...all I know of its history is that it had a timing chain failure that damaged engine requiring extensive repair. I purchased it on EBay (I know ) Price was right for what seemed to be a fairly clean SUV. Upon picking it up the service stabilitrak msg was flashing, the ABS light is on, the traction control light is on and another msg says "AWD IS OFF". I've been driving this home from New York to Florida and other than a vibration in the steering wheel at around 50 that smooths out at higher speeds, and the annoying lights..it's done pretty well. The other red flag is it's says I'm averaging 19.7 MPG, which is much lower than I expected on hwy and the voltage gauge has been reading as high as 14.5 volts. Anyone have a suggestion on where to start? Thanks for sharing your wisdom!!!
Hello TeeHee,
I am now to a point of desperation. I am having the same exact issues that you are having with my 08 Outlook. I've tried everything up to this point. Was able to get codes back from a reader that said front left wheel speed sensor, so I changed it out brand new speed sensor. Pulled out of the driveway same issues came right back so I took it back 2 the shop this time it said left rear wheel speed sensor. So I bought another brand new speed sensor and replaced. Again pulled out of the driveway same issues came back. I don't know what else to do this is my wife's car and it's making me a nervous wreck. I don't have a lot of money to go out and buy another car at this time. I'm just curious if you found any resolution to your issue. If you could share I would be grateful!

grcauto

Hello TeeHee,
I am now to a point of desperation. I am having the same exact issues that you are having with my 08 Outlook. I've tried everything up to this point. Was able to get codes back from a reader that said front left wheel speed sensor, so I changed it out brand new speed sensor. Pulled out of the driveway same issues came right back so I took it back 2 the shop this time it said left rear wheel speed sensor. So I bought another brand new speed sensor and replaced. Again pulled out of the driveway same issues came back. I don't know what else to do this is my wife's car and it's making me a nervous wreck. I don't have a lot of money to go out and buy another car at this time. I'm just curious if you found any resolution to your issue. If you could share I would be grateful!
You may want to start a new thread. This post is 2.5 years old. Are the tone rings good? No cracks like this.

Attachments

I don't realize this thread was that old. Thanks for letting me know. I'm not 100% sure if there are cracks on not. I need to go back and recheck. Do you think this could cause the issues I'm having? The vehicle drives right now, but when you start it up it immediately starts the cycle of warning messages. Service Traction Control, Service Stabiltrak, Traction Control Off, AWD Turned Off.
Right now it's just driving in front wheel drive. It's crazy how it just does that on its own when there's not even a button for that option.

Attachments

jigfeett

I had a stabiltrak code and all it was was a speed sensor got ,unplugged and I plugged it in and fixed it. There are a lot of inexpensive "less than $300." scan tools out there that would pay for them selves in just a few visits to a shop. Your $89 turns into $150 by the time they add up the fees. Don't forget most auto parts store will scan for free but they use about the cheapest scan tool they have. Even Harbor freight has scan tools that are made by Autel and cover most anything you'll need including ABS, SRS for $200. I would be unhappy to pay a shop over $100 to tell me a sensor was unplugged. If you are going to do your own repair, you need a scantool.
My $.02.