KevinKesler

Make
Mitsubishi
Model
Outlander
Year
Miles
Engine
On first start, takeoff in drive or reverse is strong and normal.

Feathering gas triggers the transmission to "shift".

Giving it more gas it down shifts and accelerates but at high rpm.

No detectable slippage

After during around the block a few times Outlander seems to start in 6th gear, low engine rpm. Then once it is rolling it down shifts all the way.

diag scanner shows 0 psi on the primary line and 145psi on secondary. I don't really know what I'm looking at yet but I'm a quick learner.

I plan on coming through the valve body and vacuum test.

I find it hard to believe that I can have no detectable slippage and the belt or variators are at issue. I have inspected them, no scarring and there is clear definition of the links of belt, no marking or chaffing. it appears that they are doing what they are commanded.
Edit

Mealticket

KevinKesler - I'm sure the pros here will chime in (I'm not a pro). What I do know is that it is highly recommended that you replace the flow control valve in the pump on this unit; the aftermarket has a couple of solutions. The bore wears and causes pressure problems. I think one solution is just the improved valve, and the other involves installing a sleeve and new valve. Check out Transgo on that. Below is a link to WIT Transmission, and right on their front page they have a video with great info on this:

MT

KevinKesler

New pump installed. New valve body ordered. It's cheap enough and somewhat rules out human error on my part. I do have a manual gauge to test pressure when I get it back on rack.

Mealticket

Good man. Hey, just for what it's worth, I watched that WIT video again and it's the techs' opinion that the flow control valve 'is the sole cause of failure in these units'. Not that yours 'failed'. But keep that in mind,

MT

NickD

wrench
Kind of questioning CVT's in cars snowmobile has one, belt, kind of costly only good for around 500 miles unless extra careful on flat land.

See the internet is loaded with CVT problems and really don't have a concept of a steel belt some use.

Not a cure, but if I see a vehicle I like with CVT will keep on walking.