2010 Tundra P0418

yeowguy

2010 Toyota Tundra trouble code P0418. What could be causing this code? I've never seen a code for a secondary air injection system before.

kev2

wrench
I will guess this is a 5.7L ?

P0418, Secondary Air Injection System Control "A" Circuit -

keyword is CIRCUIT before getting wiring diagrams to you - check fuses, and elec connectors at secondary AIR pump, fuses AID .

My quick ck showed attachment SORRY I did not read - no time

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi yeowguy, been a while. How are you doing?

In regards to your code, and I say this with the utmost respect for Kev2, I would disregard his TSB. His wording was correct. It is a circuit problem. I hope he wont hate on me for correcting him.

All in due fun.

As he said, no time.

Here is a PDF for the flowchart and wiring and pin tests. See ace 1 pdf below.

You will need a good DVM if you don't have access to a laptop live data with a J protocol for actuation.

This is a duty cycle signal which the PCM/ECM interprets in percentage%.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
First step is actually seeing if the PCM is sending a signal and work back from there.

You can check the valve with 12v B+. If you hear it switching, your good, then check wiring.

If wiring check out ok, suspect ECU.

Here is a wiring for circuit. There are two you need to check. A and B.

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
To shorten the diagnostic time, ohm the connector to ECU and wiggle test at the same time.

Often, the harness will snag on a clip/tie wrap or whatever and ground the circuit fooling the ECU into a code.

Would not be the first time or the last time something as simple as that eludes a do it yourselfer.;)

I once chased a code for three days of shop time for such a problem.

So, again, I will repeat myself. If valve check out ok, and wiring checks out ok, suspect ECM.

If your so inclined to do so. Put a new valve in there. If code comes back. Wasted money.:money:
Back to basics.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Forgot to say, as Kev2 mentioned, we don't know what engine you have. Their are 3 engine available for this truck, but essentially it is the same principal for all three.

Once you confirm it a v6 or a v8. I will provide accurate wiring. The 4l and the 4.6l and the 5.7l slightly differ, good thing canada day is over, I am still hung over. Hope my half assed brain made my french to english easy.

The translation option was going overtime on this one.:D

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Since I have too much time on my hands and eeking out this hangover, BTW aspirin sucks, I will include the flowchart for the v6. Same seems to apply as I said before. I thought I would include it just the same. It will probably save server time than letting this thread go on and on as us wrenches like to do.

On a funny note, I sent the last joke from Dabunk to my father. He chuckled in the least.

He laughed real hard. Irish whiskey!!??:eek: When he was young, all he could smell on that priest breath was peppermint.

Joke here. Sorry to Dabunk, we just laughed so hard I had to copy and paste.

I went into the confessional box after years of being away from the Church.

Inside I found a fully equipped bar with Guinness on tap.

On one wall, there's a row of decanters with fine Irish whiskey and
Waterford crystal glasses.

On the other wall is a dazzling array of the finest cigars and chocolates.

Then the priest came in. I said to him, "Father, forgive me, for it's been a very long time since I've been to confession, but I must first admit that the confessional box is much more inviting than it used to be."

He replied: " You moron, you're on my side."

Attachments

yeowguy

Thank you for everyone's help. It turns out the secondary air system on these trucks have a lot of issues. After researching online I found it is covered under warranty. Toyota had extended the warranty when people had issues in the years 2007-2010. Thanks again

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Alot of companies give the screw around for known issues. That's why TSB's exist.

I say this often here, but toyota, is a stand up manufacture. Every car/truck has their faults, that's why I understand the frustration of a client. It's the nature of the game.

Weswelder

I know this is an old post, but I am in need of help. 2008 toyota tundra 5.7, 104,000 miles. I got a p0415 code. I replaced both pumps and the switching valves. Also replaced the battery and fuel cap. All fuses, including the main fusable link, and all check good with 12+ volts to each side. Now I am getting a p0415 and p0418. After warming the truck and clearing the codes the truck has never run better. If I jump the pumps and valves directly to the battery they run fine. I am aware of the bypass kits but would prefer not use. Any ideas on what this could be? My only thought is maybe the AIP driver. Any help would be greatly appreciated

paulo57509

Is there an SAI relay in the solenoid circuit? Your testing could have bypassed a faulty relay.