DJM1972

Make
Hyundai
Model
Elantra
Year
Miles
Engine
FL turn signal flashes fast then completely quits as soon as you turn on the parking lights.
Took the car into a trany shop and they said I had turn signal codes. They later cleared the codes because I told them I replaced the bulbs.
b2521 RR turn signal
b2518 FT turn signal
I spent the 2nd half of yesterday trying to figure out what was wrong. With no luck. I looked everywhere on-line for those codes. Couldn't find em.
Looked in the Haynes book Its said something about a fuse box in or adjacent to the passenger compartment. Should have gotten a Chilton.
I noticed that the marker lights were out. Went and bought some. That didn't help.
I tried to see if there were any bad grounds. I grounded to the engine compartment fuse box ground and proded the 3 bottom pins on the headlight plugs. The drivers side and passenger side looked good.
I messed with the passenger side last. Before I finished up, I popped a new marker light bulb in that side. Put everything back together and that new marker light didn't work.
Every where I looked I couldn't find anything about turn signal fuses. Then I found SBJ. I think the haynes book said if you suspect this you have to have it scanned.
I told my woman "I can't beleive I have to take this car into a garage for the turn signals"

grcauto

Tranny shop to fix a headlight? Turn signal codes? Let's see the bill they gave you.

Does the front T/S bulb have two functions? (Signal and Park light)
Does the rear T/S bulb have two functions? (Signal and Park light)

DJM1972

Does the front T/S bulb have two functions? (Signal and Park light)
Does the rear T/S bulb have two functions? (Signal and Park light)
I think the front ones do. But not the back. Thats another thing I just remembered. The back lights are 1156a and I put 1156 in. Not sure what the a is for.

The "a" usually means the bulb is amber colored.

If a bulb has two functions which share a ground circuit, and the ground circuit fails, funny things happen.

DJM1972

Tranny shop to fix a headlight? Turn signal codes? Let's see the bill they gave you.
Yeah we had tranny problems so I took it into the tranny shop. They ran diagnostics and that's where I found out about the turn codes.

The "a" usually means the bulb is amber colored.

If a bulb has two functions which share a ground circuit, and the ground circuit fails, funny things happen.
Ok I'll check the ground in the 2 rear lights. One question. Where will I find a good known ground at the rear of this vehicle. I think I'll try running a jumper cable from that engine compartment fuse box ground to the back to connect to the test light.
Hopfully I'll have some luck. I'll post back later. Thanks

My "go to" ground point at the rear is trunk latch striker. Usually the latch creates a shiny spot there.

An 1156 bulb has only one filament. No shared ground it that bulb socket.