2011 Hyundia Elentra limited / it left us strandedWe bought this car 4 years ago. When we bought this car the car fax was clean. But quickly learned i

DJM1972

Make
Hyundia
Model
Elentra
Year
Miles
Engine
We bought this car 4 years ago. When we bought this car the car fax was clean. But quickly learned it had been wrecked. As you can imagine we’ve had constant problems with this car. The most recent problem stranded my woman. When I got there she said she never turned the car off. It was idling up and down oddly. Like it was ready to die. I tried to drive it and it would only move at idle speed. The gas pedal wouldn’t do anything. So I decided to turn it off and start it back up. Well I did and it was fine so I drove it home.

I went and had the codes ran with no check engine light on.

P0605 code came back on 3 different scanners.

Hyundai P0605 Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error trouble code

Apparently there is some kind of service bulletin for this problem.

https://www.tsbsearch.com/Hyundai/13-FL-001

I’m going to try to do the preliminary steps before I just out right replace the PCM. But I figured I’d refer to you guys 1st.

Thanks

billr

wrench
Staff member
No other codes, only the P0605?

DJM1972

No I don't think there were any other codes
Something that this car has always done. Is in the warmer months. And it definitely seems more prevalent in the warmer months. You would try to start it and it would just crank over endlessly. But as soon as you would stop cranking it over and try to start it again it would start right up.

"Drive it and see if it codes again before doing anything."

It will it might be a year from now or tomorrow. And it will be at the most ill opportune time. She'll be driving it on the coldest day of the year and it will brake down on her while I'm at work. lol
In the 4 years we've had this car its done similar things like this oh I'd say 3 or 4 other times. Once I remember she was driving it and she said all of a suden it wouldn't shift out of 1st or 2nd gear and she had to drive like that for 10 miles or so. I'd like to type some more but I gotta run. I've had this car into the shop not the dealer just a local shop and he doesn't like this car. But that could be because I told him I don't like it. Its going back in at the end of the month.

billr

wrench
Staff member
There is some contradiction in what you are writing: you say it seems most prevalent in warm months, but also that it popped-up on "the coldest day of the year". I am concluding this has nothing to do with the ambient temperature. Do you agree with that, that it can (and has) happened in all temperatures? Does there seem to be any correlation to engine temp?

What is the evidence of there being damage to the car previous to you buying it? Any hints that there was water-damage?

With an intermittent like this, you have to be prepared to do some trouble-shooting right as the problem happens, or throw a lot of known-good (not the same as "new" or rebuilt) parts at it. Trouble-shooting requires always having a skilled person and tools in the car; probably not an option here. It may be more practical to dump this car than to throw parts at it.

Not having any other codes makes me wonder if that TSB applies to this case; a PCM may just be the start of your parts-swapping...

DJM1972

We'll thanks for your consideration. I agree with you about me being uncertain in the way I posted my description of the problems I've been having. But It definitely acts differently from the warm months to the cold months. But I think you could say that about anything. So for now I guess I'll go in a different direction.

"So this code has popped up before?"
I don't believe so.

"What is the evidence of there being damage to the car previous to you buying it? Any hints that there was water-damage?"
1. The fender well is shredded in front of the passenger side tire.
2. When you pour windshield washer fluid in it will fill up about 1/2 way and then pour on the ground.
3. My buddy noticed this. It doesn't have the serial # on the front passenger fender like all the other ones do.
4. I don't think there was any water damage. But thats a possibility I hadn't ever thought of.

"With an intermittent like this, you have to be prepared to do some trouble-shooting right as the problem happens"
I think this is why the local garage told me to stop by if this happens. Thats what I should have done.

"Not having any other codes makes me wonder if that TSB applies to this case"
Not totally sure.

"It may be more practical to dump this car than to throw parts at it."
I agree but I don't want to do this right now. I think I'm gonna wait this out for now.
Thanks

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
shot in the dark. key word hyundai/kia.

famous for surface mount crank sensor,

There is and was a software update, so if you can pull codes, I musk ask, do you have access to a bi directional scanner, cuz if so, you can pull the latest up date.

other famous korea stuff, grounds are essential. If the grounds on passenger side strut mount are iffy, remove 10mm nuts, grind paint off, will blow COPs, 1 in a row.

Sometimes, when a ground inherent to the multiplex system happens, the PCM may interpret that as a internal fault, when in fact, it is just a restrictive ground path home. something to think about.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
So, that being said, it is essential to rule out grounds at pcm, before installing a new one .

The logic behind this is that the pcm is sending a voltage, and expecting a return signal, the algorithm does the rest. One of the most things I get bitten by when I diagnose a bad pcm code, 90% of time, overlooked a ground. Boss not happy. Heres another paperweight.

that code by it self is either a high resistance connection at the pcm or a bad pcm This comment comes from some random search, and outlines pretty much that.

The velosters turbo thingy, they had a tsb, company went too fast, spray paint on strut tower to thick, pcm goes ballistic. solution, a ratchet, 10mm socket and some sanding paper.

Oh, and one or two of these.