Colt Hero

Make
Chevrolet
Model
Impala
Year
Miles
Engine
Was home visiting parent recently (hard not to be able to type "parents" anymore), and my Mom's Impala needed some work done: two sets of accident damage repaired (driver's door and rear passenger bumper cover) ... and after that was done, I decided to change the oil - (the very first time for me on this vehicle) - because it was a bit overdue. I used to tell my Dad I'd change the oil when I came home, but every time I came home it always seemed like it didn't need to be changed. LOL!

But anyway - I was surprised that after all the oil changes at his local garage over the last 6 years (he bought the car used), how dry and clean it was underneath, AND how the oil plug wasn't the least bit damaged! And THEN I was surprised at how the spin-on oil filter was oriented:

Straight Down ... with very little room to grab it! Never seen a spin-on filter oriented this way. Every one I've ever had has always sat horizontally, at (near) 90 degrees from the block.

I tried getting my favorite metal strap wrench on it, but it wasn't going to work - no way to turn it - too tight in there. Ended up just taking it off with my bare hand!

Is THAT what people do with these 3.5L engines ... use your bare hand?? I guess you could also use one of those hard, one-size-only, "socket"-style attachments that fits atop the end of the filter, but I've never owned one of those because they're too application-specific, and I'm afraid the filter diameter might change from vendor to vendor.

I DID like how the oil just leaked straight down, though - instead of making a mess dribbling down the side of the engine block. My '02 Impala and '97 Taurus wagon both make the mess. Have to stuff paper towels in there before starting to unscrew it ... but at least I can get the strap wrench on them to get them off.

grcauto

Go into the quick lube business and you'll find more vertical mount filters and some that are cartridges and suchlike.
BTW coat the rubber seal on the filter with fresh oil and spin on 3/4 of a turn after the filter makes contact. This is good and will not come off but it's easy enough to do by hand when ready,

billr

wrench
Staff member
There are strap wrenches that have a handle that pivots to any angle, not just straight out.

Colt Hero

There are strap wrenches that have a handle that pivots to any angle, not just straight out.
That’s what I was using, but just too tight in there ... or I gave up too soon. Once I got my (partial) hand on it and realized I got it to budge, that was the method I was going with.

Might have to buy one of those metal cap-style removers, I guess. There goes my 30-year run using a single metal strap wrench (Plough) with pivoting head.

grcauto

Aww shycks. You american pussies. Hmm, just re read that, is "pussies" allowed as a word here?

;)

Video unavailable
The uploader has not made this video available in your country.
If not seen in the US who's going to see it. :)