2011 Sienna with Braun Handicap chair lift>> Door and lift automatically opens without demand with no call for it. It will also close by itself.

BC

Make
Toyota
Model
Sienna
Year
Miles
Engine
V-6
2011 Sienna Chairlift van. So van passenger sliding door will automatically open which makes chairlift open without any call for it. I check the key fobs and removed the battery out of the two I have and door still opens by itself. If I leave it open, and in about a half hour or so it will automatically close its self and then it repeats this all times of the day. Any suggestions??
I don't think this is a chairlift issue because the van door has to open before limit switches are engaged to make lift operate. Thanks!

Last edited:

grcauto

Probably needs programming.

NickD

wrench
These vans have five doors, two conventional swing out for driver and front passenger. Two sliding doors for the rear passengers on the side, then a rear hatch door, assuming this is the door for the wheel chair.

So which door are you talking about. Wife works at a hospital see these vans all the time, rear hatch door, person as to manually install ramps. Some people really let themselves go like weighing over 400 pounds. Takes two strong guys to push them up those ramps.

BC

These vans have five doors, two conventional swing out for driver and front passenger. Two sliding doors for the rear passengers on the side, then a rear hatch door, assuming this is the door for the wheel chair.

So which door are you talking about. Wife works at a hospital see these vans all the time, rear hatch door, person as to manually install ramps. Some people really let themselves go like weighing over 400 pounds. Takes two strong guys to push them up those ramps.
This is passenger side sliding door. I'm trying to figure out if its a van door issue or the Braun Lift issue. Seems to me the lift mechanism would work only after the call for the door to open. Almost like this thing has a ghost in it :D.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
the signal will mostly come from the BCM on a BUS line. So disconnecting that switch by logic will stop the door from opening and closing on it own. It will trigger a bcm code, disregard that. After that if situ goes away, switch or bcm or wiring shorting to power or ground, knowing the bcm usually controls ground cuz a circuit like this is usually hot at all times.

Hope I made sense.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
but knowing it has after market kit installed, would be nice to see the wiring of that kit and how they tapped into the bus network. ;) :bat:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Problem here is, I went through all the wirings I have, toyota did not offer side cargo powered doors, so that is an add on from the chair lift company. I have seen issues like this, and will wake up circuit they are connected to.

Maybe the kit company has a reprogramming for this, but I highly doubt it.

If you can, give me name model # of chair lift kit installed, if you dont have that call the company directly, they should have this on record, as to modify a car this way, you need a sticker of approval whic always leaves a paper trail. At least up here, you need a provincial inspection with this type of handicapped vehicle mod. I really hate writing about things like this cuz usa and canada are really different. Even if we share an imidiate border, anything I may write may be misconstrued.

. SO with that, I can blow less smoke out my canadian locked uped arse. The pdf below is proof, but maybe some usa models had that option, never seen that up here at all. ;) And wiring seems to prove that. So they probably used a relay system to tap in, now, just want to know where. Seeing how they tapped in is your best to get help from the likes of me.

Attachments

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My guess is the braun lift system taps into the door unlock signal witch comes from the above wiring I showed yo in pdf. It is also tied into the anti theft security system, all on bus line, so any problem there, compiled with an after market system is suspect. Remove all wiring related to braun, if propblem persists, bad wiring at instillation, and need to put back to oem standard, then plug back in braun system.

This is actually just sherlock homles thingking. If problems go away when braun chair lift system off line, braun system is in p

BC

Hey I appreciate all that Nick. Braun tech supposed to call tomorrow and so I'll see if I can get a wiring dia. for this. I'll pass it on if I can get it from Braun. I'll take a look at the wiring pdf you sent and see if I can make some more sense out it also. I appreciate the quick response and file!
Thank you!

Last edited:

NickD

wrench
Four of my kids are driving these minivans, either Chrysler's, Dodge, or Honda's not that they have more kids then me, but due to baby seat laws. All have push buttons for those sliding doors either to open or close, could have a bad switch rattling back and forth to open or close it. Also look for simple things first.

BC

This van belongs to a handicap friend and so he just sent me the manual from Braun which includes the wiring if you'd like to take a look at it for me.
Thank you,

Attachments

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Try disconnecting the gateway module. That is your BUS slash CAN line. test the van for awhile and see if passenger door still opens randomly. I assumed correctly, it does need the gateway to talk with CAN high and low with the BCM. Post back results, I just want to narrow down, much like you, is it the van or the braun system that is sending that wake up signal to the passenger side door.

BC

Module is disconnected and door is staying shut.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Well then, that confirms the toy van is good and not acting up. That narrows it down to braun system wiring or a module, specifically, that gateway module.

Having a scope here would be nice, we could scope the wake up circuit and see what signal we get that opens ands closes the door, but that is neither here nor there, If I got that english term right. I heard it some where and it sounded smart.

:D

Thx BC for the post back, interesting thread. :cool::bat:we are halfway to a :fixed:

BC

Hey thanks man! I sure appreciate the help heading me in the right direction. I'm looking for a module this week. Thanks again my friend!