Make
Buick
Model
Lacrosse
Year
Miles
Engine
Hi all!

In order to save time, I will first upload pics of OBD2 data.

I am not-technical at all. Trying to help my father get this problem fixed.

Would greatly appreciate your help.

(Btw - I checked the air filter, which sounded easiest, looks clean)

Attachments

• 1 - ECT 59C (Load Percent 56.9%).jpeg
    1 - ECT 59C (Load Percent 56.9%).jpeg
    140.4 KB · Views: 11
  • 2 - LONGFT1 -40% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (running RICH) (more gas).jpg
    2 - LONGFT1 -40% !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (running RICH) (more gas).jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 3 - IAT (intake air temp) 43C (inside MAF sensor).jpeg
    3 - IAT (intake air temp) 43C (inside MAF sensor).jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 4 - MAF 7.16 gs (TP throttle position 20%).jpeg
    4 - MAF 7.16 gs (TP throttle position 20%).jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 6
  • 5 - O2S12.jpeg
    5 - O2S12.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 7
  • 6 - O2S22.jpeg
    6 - O2S22.jpeg
    156.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 7 - FLI (Fuel Level Indicator) (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).jpeg
    7 - FLI (Fuel Level Indicator) (Malfunction Indicator Lamp).jpeg
    161.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 8 - BARO.jpeg
    8 - BARO.jpeg
    180.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 9 - CATEMP11.jpeg
    9 - CATEMP11.jpeg
    180.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 10 - LAMBDA ( TPR - Relative Throttle Position Displayed in %) (Ambient Air Temperature 19c).jpeg
    10 - LAMBDA ( TPR - Relative Throttle Position Displayed in %) (Ambient Air Temperature 19c).jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 7

grcauto

wrench
It's running rich. Fuel pressure?

It's running rich. Fuel pressure?

i don't know. I was hoping one of the pictures might help?

i figured since I am getting the error code on both banks, this might mean it's something happening BEFORE it gets to the engine?

But again, I am not technical at all.

Some suggested it just might be the air filter clogged. So today I checked, but it was pretty clean I think:

Also tried to take a pic of the MAF sensor.

But I was thinking maybe one of the pics of the DATASTREAM from the OBD2 might tell the answer. It's just that I don't know what the data means.

Attachments

• Buick Air Filter 01.12.2022.jpeg
    Buick Air Filter 01.12.2022.jpeg
    375.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Buick Air Filter 01.12.2022 (2).jpeg
    Buick Air Filter 01.12.2022 (2).jpeg
    222.9 KB · Views: 3
  • MAF Sensor Pic.jpeg
    MAF Sensor Pic.jpeg
    123.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Air Box.jpeg
    Air Box.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Engine.jpeg
    Engine.jpeg
    249.5 KB · Views: 4

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, fuel pressure is "before the engine". What do you suppose that "FRP" data entry is? If it is Fuel Regulated Pressure, then it seems quite high. If I did my math correctly, that 4540 kPa reported is a whopping 659 psi! Like the sensor/circuit is maxxed out...

Well, fuel pressure is "before the engine". What do you suppose that "FRP" data entry is? If it is Fuel Regulated Pressure, then it seems quite high. If I did my math correctly, that 4540 kPa reported is a whopping 659 psi! Like the sensor/circuit is maxxed out...

first time I hear of this. Thank you. So the FRP (Fuel Rail Pressure) should be lower? By how much? Is there a "normal" range?

Also, so this is definitive? I have a fuel rail pressure issue? What is my next step?

Thx so much!

EDIT: also, don't you suppose I would get a different CODE if the FRP was the issue?

Again, I am not technical, just trying my best here.

Thx again.

Last edited:

billr

wrench
Staff member
Is that what the documentation for your scanner says "FPR" means, "fuel rail pressure", or are you just re-phrasing my guess?

Fuel rail pressure is commonly in the 40-80 psi range, so that 659 would be way high. Just read FP with a gauge, so we can move on...

I have no clue as to what codes might be set by high FP (other than ones like what you already have). I'll take a peek in the code list, but they will vary according to a particular manufacturer's diagnostic scheme.

grcauto

wrench
No way to teach basic car repair on here. You do not understand your own scan tool.
Get a Chilton or Haynes manual and start reading.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.

Hold on guys here, this is a GDI engine, it is normal to see high pressure reading at that sensor. Lets regroup before we go to far and confuse this newbie. BTW, welcome dear newbie. .

This probably a first for guys like Billr and such, these engine have a cam driven second pump, would be normal to see at least 2500psi at fuel rail pressure sensor idleing.

Last edited:

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
You do not understand your own scan tool.
This was very unnecessary, he took the time to buy a live data code thing, and took time to post us that info. Billr focused on that. Mostly likely didn't know it was a GDI. He posted nothing wrong,

It doesn't matter. Dear GRC, comments like that do not help the newbie. If I get grief for that, I assume it fully.

So, getting back to these codes and such awesome live data to work with.

lfx engine

read the info, it is the second gen in this iteration, and it was GDI.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
This is the cam driven pump and such.

Anyway, my goal is to educate and have fun while doing it. So to newbie who did an awesome job on your first post, trust, I like cool tunes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
the codes you have are for lean, so in insence it is a good thing Billr saw that number, cuz that confirms lean condition, all numbers showing in live data showss that pcm is working fine and trying to correct, but it cannot because cam driven pump is either shot or cam lobe is starting to go round, very , VERY common and this results.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Caddilacs and such of this era suffered the very same fate sadly, Cam lobes wore.

But before we go there, you need to see if primary pump in back is getting enough to secondary pump, so cam can drive it up to specs. If no gas going to cam drive pump, secondary pump will only show 691 psi.

Next we need to see if your scan tool can do OBd2 mode six.

So what I want from you buick 2012 newbiw is to tell me exactly what code reader you are using.

After that, I will tell you if it has that option or not, but I highly suspect you have a mid range cuz you got those codes, those are more resevreed for manufacture, obd2 mode six may show less and let us focus on maybe some primary data, so lets try. nother cool tune

I am going to make a deal with newbie, give me free tunes, I give you free no bull shyte answers

Deal?

Lets see if we didnt scare him away with lack of knowledge and abruptness.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I want you to erase those codes, and do a drive cycle if you can.

But dont do it, before you actually get the freeze frames from those original codes, if you have already erased them, no prob, mode six will get them back, we SHOULD get back normal obd2 codes such as p017x ish codes.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Focus on LEAN, and NOT rich, this engine is actually starving, contrary to what was said before, but know I am ready for greif, I have been here since 2008, so I am used to it.

Plz keep coming back.

Sometimes we all are a little bit off, I lost my sister this year and bought a 1994 stang 5.0l ho to keep her memory alive.

billr

wrench
Staff member
My mistake about the pressure! I apologize, I didn't even think of GDI. Like nickb2 said, that is something I have never seen, and probably never will (except on my diesels, of course).

I will only follow along here now, listening and learning from the expert advice of nickb2.