2012 Impala traction control light/alert

JP

Please fill out the following to ask a question.

MAKE:Chevy
MODEL: Impala
YEAR
:2012
MILES: 47K
ENGINE
:3.6l
DESCRIBE ISSUE.... Occasionally over the past 3 months or so, I've had the traction control light come on briefly when I wouldn't expect it to...shifting from R to D on dry pavement on occasion, and from R to D on my dirt road (when it wasn't slippery). Just a brief engagement, as it would be on a slippery surface. The Traction control light does come on briefly when it's slippery as expected.

However, it came on today, flashed for about 10 seconds while the IP read "service traction control", and the check engine light also flashed for the same length of time. Then everything went back to normal after. This all occurred while in D, maybe 50 feet or so after shifting from R. The road was slippery (snow) this morning when it occurred.

I know if anything is wrong, the repair is covered under warranty (still), but if they don't find anything at the dealer, is it still covered?

It's a bit weird for the check engine and traction control to come on at the same time, no?

If like my 2012 Cruze with this traction control nonsense as I call it, besides brake pulsing the wheel it thinks that is spinning, also kills the engine. Mine had high resistance in where the negative bare ended battery cable was inserted and crimped into the negative battery cable. With loads on the battery, like blower motor rear defrost on, could measure 2 volt between the negative battery and engine ground. Took the darn thing apart and soldered it.

Also had problem with that made in China ignition relay in the underhood fuse relay box with dirty contacts. Found a Pansonic CB18H-12V relay with a 75 ampere rated contacts to replace that Chinese POS relay, but had to modify the connector contacts so it would fit. Not the only one with this problem others took their cars to their dealers, where charged anywhere from 150-300 buck diagnostic fees by their dealers to be told they couldn't find anything. Same will happen to you if your BB warranty is over, not covered by the PT warranty.

Other problems with these point contact relays, radiator fan wouldn't switch off, always hot, sticking contacts, radio or dash or head lights flash on and off. While I was at it checked all the relays and battery connections. If they solder dipped those bare copper leads first, wouldn't be a problem, and using all these point contact relays for computer circuits is nothing short of stupid. Need clean contacts to reset the five computers in these things. Not only GM but practically all newer vehicles are going this way.

New problems that were never problems before.

Gus

wrench
The only time the CE light flashes, is when you have a misfire......need to read codes....need a scan tool to read "C" codes for the traction control....

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Screenshot (489).png Screenshot (488).png I did find this tsb for some of your concerns. CE and track light on at same time, also othe C codes and U codes may be present.

Read this snapshot.

If you find these concerns, I will provide the whole tsb and pictures.

Screenshot (488).png

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Oops, I think I double posted a snapshot but you should get the gist of it.

Most likely a BUS/MUX line issue. Normally a trac control issue will NOT illuminate the CEL. However, if it is a BUS line issue, very possible that your dash will be a Christmas tree.

As the TSB says, if any aftermarket stuff is involved, NO warranty coverage.

If no aftermarket involved, we need those codes to proceed to help you further.

Do you have a C0561 present??

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
If you have a laptop, investigate this site, I have posted many times on what programs to download for free and cheap adapters to find to communicate with the various modules involved in a modern OBD2 vehicle.

You should find the info in the automotive product section.

If you don't have a laptop, a PC wifi adapter can be bought for 12$ and can interrogate your car from your couch/desk if the car is in range.

Ha, if you don't screw in a light bulb tightly into a socket will get a flicker. Even worse with these vehicle with any kind of weak electrical connection, except the computers will go crazy and generate all kinds of codes. So what good are codes if they are randomly generated?

In reading those symptoms, a lot were common to my Cruze, but the cause was due to poor electrical connections, like crimping bare wire and dirty relay contacts.

JP

I've got an Auto Enginuity software program but I don't think it will interface with 2012 and later. I'll check and see if I can read the codes. Likely as not I'll take it in as it seems to still be under (powertrain) warranty.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Hi JP,

good to know you still have warranty, just make sure any aftermarket stuff is removed or in working order and receipts kept safe if said aftermarket is installed. Because they may void the powertrain warranty on that alone.

Just saying, I have seen this before. I know, because I was the smuck that had to deal with customers that won't understand. I just say, talk to my service manager.