Wild Bill

Make
Kia
Model
Optima LX
Year
Miles
Engine
Warning lights on dash inop, shift interlock inop. Have new BCM does it need to be programmed. If so, can it be done with an Autel Elite or Snap on Veros? Or is it necessary to take it to the dealer.

grcauto

How did you determine the BCM was the issue?

Wild Bill

Not 100% All fuses and grounds check good. Scan tool will not communicate w/ BCM. According to fellow tech at work BCM's have been a known issue. Due to recent surgery have not been able to diag as much as I would like. If you have any suggestions I am more than willing to listen.

grcauto

Load test the circuits. If the power and ground are good and you can communicate with all other modules but not the BCM then it's toast. Make sure to load test the power and ground or you may get bit.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Auto headlamps also intermittent, when they do not work the radio display is blank.
Sounds like a ground issue. Path of ground is finding ways. As GRc wrote, check wiring and connections. Ground choke points for dash and radio will be near metal casing for dash center console.

Other dongle options which I enjoy. Clones, many clones out there that do all API and DLL requirement of list in pdf below.

https://kiatechinfo.snapon.com/Forms/KiaJ2534ProgrammingSystem.pdf

Wild Bill

More info on the Optima. I trusted someone else to check the under dash fuses because I was recovering from surgery and could not do it myself. Not one of the fuses in the interior fuse box has power on either side. But, the windows, power outlets, and interior lights are all working. Has anyone seen anything like this before?

Was the key turned on during fuse testing? Was testing done by touching tip of tester to tiny hole in end of fuses? Sometimes the tester tip has to be very sharp to make a connection in the tiny hole. I have been fooled by this in the past.

Wild Bill

Thanks Mobile Dan. Took back to shop and double checked. I am embarrassed to say as a 20+ year Master Tech I could not properly probe the fuses. Used a smaller tipped probe attached to the Power Probe and found 2 fuses to be bad. Every thing but the horn works now and I think there is a short involved because the fuse keeps blowing and the relay test good. Many Thanks for the great guidance.