roser601

Make
Nissan
Model
Sentra
Year
Miles
Engine
I purchased a 2012 Nissan Sentra with the 2.0 engine.
Specs say the car should get around 26 mpg in town but the car gets around 18 mpg in reality.
Engine is smooth running and accelerates smoothly and idles quietly.
Is the gas mileage low for around town driving or are the manufacturer’s figures unrealistic?

billr

wrench
Staff member
There are many variables that affect what specific mileage you get with a specific car. Both your observed mileage and the manufacturer's spec may be quite realistic; it may just be that your driving conditions are that much different from those considered "average" for establishing the spec.

I would get it scanned for trouble-codes (free, at a local parts store). If there are none, then probably it is most practical to accept what mileage you are getting and not fret any more. I would also check the engine's compression, but it is not too likely that is very bad if no codes are being set.

Finally, the type of fuel you are using is one of those variables that you could experiment with. Try different octane, different brands. Just be aware that greater mpg may not be greater over-all $ economy if you have to use a grade/brand that is more costly to bump the mpg up.

roser601

That all sounds plausible but still hard to reconcile advertised 26 mpg with a real 18 mpg. That’s an 8 mpg difference! Not even close!

grcauto

These little engines today are very much the hogs unless they are driven like tomorrow can wait.

roser601

I know for a fact this one is driven gently.
This is my wife’s car and she is 64 years old and drives it like a granny.
No jack rabbit starts or speeding—as a matter of fact, I don’t like riding with her because she doesn’t drive fast enough for me!

billr

wrench
Staff member
Well, even driving in too meek a manner may affect mpg. Engines tend to be less efficient when under a light load, idle being worst (and not just because there are no miles being racked-up to enable a mpg figure).

roser601

Well, I think I have heard it all now.
Why cant we just entertain the idea that manufacturers stats may be misleading?

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I second bill. When a car is driven in a "meek" fashion, the engine itself will suffer in various degrees. One of which is a direct result of a car under low heat, low load in a constant manner. The driver is either to scared or suffers from chronic eye problems etc. Anyway this happens, by age, fear, etc, the engine will suffer degradation in a much faster way than a taxi driven car for example. And those taxi guy's sure check the MPG.

As the combustion chambers get dirty, those will eventually start to have a reverse effect as they can't get hot enough to self cleanse so to speak.

Beating the bloody shyte out of a car once in a while actually gets that desired effect and often low mpg result. Or you can go to a shop and get a properly pressurized fuel system cleaning done by a guy like me that actually knows how and what equipment to use. Yes, I just tooted my own horn.

But mostly I want to toot the horn of a good thorough cleaning of the fuel intake etc system. And also get new plug air filter etc if they are out of conformity.

All this will help.

roser601

OK-I may take that into consideration.
Now I want to hear from people who actually have 2012 Sentra with the 2.0 engine.
What MPG figures are you getting around town?
Let us hear from you!

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
Fuel trims would have set a code for sure if extreme enrichment. If the engine controller is seeing trims ok, it will correct along with the degradation of misc engine parts etc.

Hg mpg and no codes and controller passing readiness monitors suggest just a lack of maintenance or a more sever approach such as listed in my previous post.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I don't know how many here actually have some of them in their daily drivers, but I fix about 5-6 of these rust buckets a week.

They have huge problems with vacuum leaks that up kick the mpg. SO getting trims is essential to pin point why the mpg went high.

Towing what others are getting with the same car as yours is not important unless yours and theirs are all in pristine condition engine wise and no flat tires, dragging brakes etc. Many thing affect mpg.

Comparing that on this board that way is not conclusive questioning.

ANd if you want to just go the extra mile, read or listen to this book.

https://archive.org/details/06YoureWrongAboutEverything

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
My toyota echo 1.5l manual which is a 2003 with well over 200k km's is getting the best miles per gallon just because I red line it once in a while.

40liters equals about 600k.

A 2.0l liter should do about the same but if your engine or as you say your wife drives, is grand ma driven, the algorithm will adapt itself.

billr

wrench
Staff member
"Why cant we just entertain the idea that manufacturers stats may be misleading?"

Because it is more accurate to entertain the idea that our misguided government requires the manufacturers to post a meaningless spec. There is no single number that can be accurate for all drivers/conditions. That's why the "your mileage may vary" disclaimer is allowed