Subaru
Model
Legacy
Year
Miles
Engine
2.5 L 4-cylinder
Hi All!

I bought a used 2012 Subaru Legacy (2.5 L 4-cylinder, manual transmission) back in May 2020 from a used car dealer. Before I finalized the deal I brought the car to a mechanic to have the car checked out to be sure the car was in good condition and didn't need any work. The mechanic told me the car was in excellent shape and there were no issues with it, so I bought the car that day. When I got home I was driving the car through the alley behind my apartment building to park it and the alley makes a 90-degree turn. I took the turn slowly but had the turn the wheel all the way to the left to make the turn. When I was taking the turn slowly, the car began to make this loud clunking sound and with roughly every rotation (or so), the car would bounce as if I had run over something small.

It was concerning at first but I was calmed by the fact that the car was looked at just a few hours before and there were no issues. Originally I thought that maybe the tires were too large for the car and they were rubbing against the inside of the wheel well when I took tight turns but after getting a flat tire and replacing all 4 tires, the issue remains.

Essentially any time I take a tight turn in either direction (the turns aren't even always that tight) the car makes a clunking noise and the car feels like it's hitting small bumps until I straighten the wheels out. For some reason, there are good days where I can take tight turns without this happening and bad days where it happens on almost every turn. At first, I thought it had to do with road conditions as it seemed this was occurring mostly after it had rained, but I no longer have reason to believe this. I know that it's been over a year since this began and I should've addressed it sooner but I've been too busy until now. Any guidance or insight would be greatly appreciated!

I will try and get a video of the sound if possible, but I don't know that it will be loud enough to pick up from my phone.

Thank you,
Steve

billr

wrench
Staff member
It sounds like you have stock-size tires now, but what about the wheels; are those stock? Any obvious suspension mods, including just shocks/struts that look like they have been replaced?

I assume you have removed both front wheels and looked all over the wheel-well area for indication of tires rubbing; and used plenty of light...

Mobile Dan

wrench
Perhaps the AWD system is acting like a "locked" differential works and that is what is making the clunk when turning. Changing the fluid can sometimes cure this problem. Some kind of additive may be available.

nickb2

Wrench. Diagnostic Tech.
I know I am late to game, been busy but yeah sure sound like a cv joint. @ Dan, I think that even in locked mode, it wouldnt clunk like op describes just saying.
Btw how r u Mobile dan, you working hard :cool: