Make
Toyota
Model
Corolla
Year
Miles
Engine
2ZRFE 1.8L
Code P1604. Pulled into garage sat overnight. Tried to start next day. Battery voltage 12.16 when cranking. Turns over has fuel spraying out of injectors. Trying to check for spark but by myself and can't crank and look under hood at same time.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Do the injectors spray fuel while cranking? I'm wondering how you could have checked that by yourself... Use an ordinary (insulated) electrical wire to extend one of the spark wires/coils out to where you can see it spark to ground. For the injectors, check for pulses with a voltmeter (and extended leads, if necessary).

Gotta love that code... "startability malfunction", like you can't tell that from the fact that it won't start? Maybe cars should have warning lights on the dash to let you know the car is "occupied"?

I checked injectors by removing them and wrapped rags around them and turned engine over. Rags were soaked in gas. Couldn't tell what spray pattern was like but at least i know they were spraying.
:fixed: I went out this morning and tried to start it. It acted like it wanted to start. On the 4th try it did start. But it smoked a lot at first then cleared up and runs fine.It acted like it was flooded. How could it get flooded? Myself, wife and daughter know not to press on gas because it is fuel injected. So that wasn't the cause.
i do believe it still has a problem. But where do you start? I am going to get the Alldata for it and look into it further.
For cold weather starts it does get more fuel so i am wondering if it thought it was cold and enriched it when it was not necessary. Outside temp at the time was about 45 deg F so not cold.
There are lights on the dash to let you know air bag is on and if no one in passenger seat mine says air bag off.:)
Thanks billr for the reply.

Does Bat auto still get a small amount when i signup for alldata? I do remember they used to when i lived on the West Coast.

billr

wrench
Staff member
Don't know about the Alldata.

Most (all?) EFI systems inject a "priming" squirt before cranking even begins; that may be the fuel you saw on the rag. We need to know if the injectors squirt while cranking and after the prime. That is an important clue about whether the CKP sensor signal is working.

Do you have a means to look at live-data? The first things to look at would be the ECT sensor reading and the TP reading. The ECT, in particular, is the heart of the "choke" system nowadays and a bad reading there could easily account for your problems. And yes, the ECT could fail "in range" and not set a code.

Mileage seems a little low for "first set of spark plugs", but I would replace them....easy and it doesn't cost much. Cleaning throttle body may also be beneficial.
My take on "Don't touch the throttle, you will flood it."...that is only slightly true. More true to say "It's fuel injected, you don't have to touch the throttle to start.". But if throttle body is dirty, holding down the throttle a little would be a good thing. And if it is flooded, holding pedal to the floor while cranking would be the best way to get it started.